xisto Community
mahesh2k

Xmind - Mind Map

I don't know if most of the users on Xisto are using mindmaps. But while searching for some task list programs i came across some of the variations of mindmaps software. For example, xmind is one mindmap software which is based on eclipse engine. This application looks and works same like any other eclipse application but it allows mindmaps to be developed and export, import inside it. It has both freeware and premium application. But here i''m going to let you know about freeware features of the application. As i said this application is freeware with some limitations. Like exporting to pdf and mapping of the pdf for links and form etc type of features. Also there seems to be one more feature in paid version called "hyat maps or something like that. I don't know what that feature is in paid version but i don;t see it in my use for now. So there is nothing that i have lost with the paid version of the software.

Xmind can be downloaded from this xmind site. Most of the freeware features are enough for you nitially so there is nothing to expect from paid version. As it is eclipse based so expect some slow loading as it has java engine running behind. Also do pay attention to the format you export. Other than it's own native format, rest of the formats are non-importable once you export..e.g jpg, png and rest.

Coming back to mind map. The point of mind map is that it can be used to visualize structured and connected information. Sometimes you can use it for the lists. Sometimes you can use for loging certain patterns and the type of tasks that you want to do with the software. I have found that simple academic loging of information is not needed in my case. I think using it for task list was one good ieda Something like list the task as per their importance and connect them to central blob. Morning >iron>coffee> newspaper. Etc. type of information in mindmap format. I know it may sound stupid to some of you and you may use it in any other manner possible. But i have noticed that it's good to use the mindmap in a way that suits my curernt requirement.

I wanted to log some tasks in order that i perform daily. It should be automated in some cases. So that is why tasks list helps. Mind map made it easy for me to visualize this list. I have added the tasks in the blob and then connected them in such way that it makes sense to me. Mindmaps work like charm in this case. I don't know how they'll work for you but do give it a try. I'm sure you'll find them beneficial for your use as well.