xisto Community
mahesh2k

Fbreader - Ebook Reader

I'm sure most of you read ebooks during weekends or late at night when you get some time before going to bed. I also prefer to read the ebooks during this time. I don't prefer kindle or other special ereader devices because i carry mobile with me all the time. So i thought it was worth getting app for this ebook reading. I'm using one android phone right now and was looking for one good ebook reader that works with both windows and android phone. In case of windows it should let me use the app on desktop and normal app on mobile. I found FB reader doing the same for me. You can use this application on windows, linux and on android phone. It is small app with simple window that lets you browse the pages quickly and also lets you manage the colleciton of books. I have seen that windows based application is no different than the mobile application. The interface and the way we access the app is basically the same. You just have to see if you can access the collection a little bit differently than android phone. Your interface for the windows though similar will have some difference here. One more difference is that this app doesn't respond to the font changes in the book. I mean book may have some different font but by default this app takes same font for all the books. It could be just my installation or default feature. You just have to check this on your own. I have tried to ask others about this and waiting for their reply on this. That aside i think this app is good for viewing ebooks no matter where you want - windows or android. I know there are some eye strain issues with android phones and so for that reason i don't think you should consider watching this for long time. Instead of that you should consider reading on window based tablet if possible or some another mobile where you can adjust the LCD light.

One more thing to notice here is that FBReader for windows is not available on it's download page and seperately maintained at it's own page on fbreader site. You can find that page here. So depending on where you want to read the ebooks, you can download either widnows based version or phone based version. I am using both and whenever i want to read the books. I have to find some other alternatives as well for reading multiple other file formats. So far this ebook reader can read - .mobi, .epub and some other file formats which have popular databses online for ebooks. But still i think there needs to be more file format support at per support on other epub book reader apps. I'll post about those types of reader soon. In between you can check this ebook app.

Can you freely choose the fonts setup?I guess that black characters on a white background would be very aggressive for standard eyes.Could you try if amber characters on a black background are possible? And do you feel them readable?If you happen to feel amber characters uncomforable, could you please try green or blue characters?This a purely philosophical question, because I have no smatphone nor tablet, I love reading while I'm in my bed, and the books I love to read don't have e-book version.But I'm really curious concerning this font question.Some tens of years ago, people had great trouble working on white background terminals black white texts. And some smart devices allowed choosing the character colors.So, I'm curious to know if the modern devices have the same comfort.By the way, the only free e-books I found had a pdf or an odt "source" version, so nothing else needed on a standard home PC. ;)

I can choose the font setup but sometimes i guess soem fonts are forced by the book. For those books it is really hard to choose and make the settings for the font. I have tried to change the default book font from the times new roman to corbel and it is not changing. So i guess there seems to be some sort of trouble with the fbreader settings. I did managed to change the settings from the - settings > style. I found that it is working for some books but there are some which are not changing at all. What could be in that book that causes this other than css is beyond me. I would like to figure that out or ask someone from fbreader team about this. As for background changes yes i did changed that to gray and white combination. Mind you, i have no idea about such glaring issues other than the ones mentioned by kindle and nook. So i have to check what possible settings are good on LCD screen for the PC. I found that these gray+white are the settings that makes the much difference. If you know any color combination regarding the eye strain let me know. I would like to try that out as much as i can possible while reading these books. I think i read 2-3 books a month and so that is the reason it is better to take care of these things earlier. As for pdf books, they are limited in number and many free books are released in .epub and .mobi reader. So if you want to read the multiple ebook formats for these free ebooks then it is better to choose FB reader. I know sometimes you find these books in pdf format. But in m opinion you'll find most of the .mobi and .epub in amazon and other kindle marketplace. So better to have such reader in case as we're not sure where such free books comes from these days. I'll update you later on the font issue.

I use an i68+ sciphone, ok so it's a chinese knockoff but still a natty little phone for the price, 8gb micro sd card and full touchscreen for only £50 new, not a bad deal.Anyway it comes with a built-in ebook reader which can read most text formats including txt, pdf and rtf. It's not as adjustable with the font settings and such like fbreader however it works well, displays the text at a reasonable size and is easily scrollable. The downside however is when reading rtf text it usually puts two line breaks instead of one when going on to the next paragraph. Nice little app though, mind you I got my sciphone about 3 years ago so the app is probably pretty out-dated by now.

Here is the image for you to check the background colors. I have selected the corbel font for the book but it is not changing at all for any type of book.You can see this image for the font. It is fixed with "Times New Roman" font for the ebook reader. I don't know if it is "Times new roman" or the "Georgia" font. Anyway as it is fixed there is nothing much i can do for now. It's just stuck with the FBreader and nothing i can do. Maybe i'll ask for the fix on other forums and see if it gets fixed soon. I don't know how to fix myself this but for now this is enough and i guess i don't need to bother with the font till i get answers from other regarding this.

Posted Image

If you know any good sites that guide for the readability issues. I mean which background is good for long reading and the fonts. Do let me know so that i can change the settings for now.

If you know any good sites that guide for the readability issues

The problem is, that it depends from each guy.It's exactly like buying solar glasses.
Some people will love green glasses, some other will love amber glasses, and some others will buy mirror glasses.
It depends from eyes defects.
Some people cannot see correctly far away. These people will love amber solar glasses.
Some other people see perfectly far away, and they cannot see correctly the objects very close. These people will prefer blue glasses.
All the other people will prefer mirror glasses..
Same thing with the comfortable font colors for reading on a display during a long time. :lol:
Unfortunately, this is my own experience, other people certainly noticed the same facts and published it on the web.
Unless only I discovered this, in that case I will become reach and famous very soon. ;)