xisto Community
imjjss

Mcafee- Another Tool To Guide Traffic To Your Site Another reason to buy McAfee

I just discovered that McAfee's SiteAdvisor service is a great tool to promote our site.

There's a saying-- a good surfing habit works better than any anti-virus/anti-spy software. It's true, if get infected by virus or maleware, it's very difficult to clean it completely. Since I have McAfee installed, my PC basically virus free, but I still keep the good habit-- I never visit sites that red flaged by McAfee. If it's gray flagged, I stay alert about anything that site has to offer. This good habit keeps me away from virus or maleware for years.

From my personal experience and feelings at the Green/Red/Gray flags, I think it's important for a website owner go gain a Green flag in order to gain more traffic.

Several days ago bought my own domain and set up a testing site. To my surprise, McAfee SiteAdvisor poped up a message saying --

We've tested millions of websites, but we haven't tested this one yet. Be the first one to submit feedback on it!

Interesting! Now I know how a site get their flags.

Of course, I want to vote my site as good. I clicked to vote it and arrived the voting page. It says

This site has been queued for testing. Please come back soon for automated results.

Oops, seems not easy to vote myself as a good guy. But, wait, under my domain name, there's one line:

Are you the owner of this site? Leave a comment

Ok, Since I can't vote for myself before the site being tested by McAfee, I'm going to make a nice comment for my site. I clicked through, registered and logged in, I discovered that it's not a simple process.

There are 2 steps to go.

Step one. Web Site Owner Verification Process

To leave comments as a site owner, you first need to be verified. Please follow these steps:

1. Request a "Web site owner verification file" using your domain;

2. Check the "Open Verification Requests" section below to find a special filename. Create a file with this exact filename in the root Web directory on the Web server of the site you are claiming to own.

3.Once the verification file is created and publicly readable, come back to this page and click the "Verify" button next to the open verification request.

4. Once we have verified that the file exists on your Web site, you will have permission to create and edit the Web site owner comments that appear on your Site Details page. You must be logged in as a reviewer to leave your comment.

Step Two. Open Verification Requests

To prove you are authorized to represent a site, we ask you to place a specially named, blank file in your root Web directory. Once this file is created, click the "Verify" button to have our servers look for the file on your site. Please be sure that both your site and the verification file are publicly accessible.

After the above process, you are either verified or not verified.

If you successfully verified your site ownership, you will get through the next step-- say something nice for your own site, and other site reviewers can start commenting your site:

The following Web sites have been successfully verified. You may create or edit the Web site owner comments (which will show up on the SiteAdvisor Site Report page) by clicking on the "Edit" button next to the comment.

After I made nice description about my site, I recalled one thing-- several times I visited sites by google searching, and searched out some websites in McAfee's comments. So, it's also a nice place to leave a review about our sites.

I strongly recommend site ownnners to take this extra step to promote our site. It's really makes people hesitate visiting your site if it's gray. Or even worse, if red flagged, visitors probably ignore your site.

I'm not convinced that this is really useful. This simply tells McAfee that the site's owner claimed that his site is virus-free. Which each webmaster will claim, who will say "tell them to get our of here, I will put a lot of ads and Potentially Unwanted Programs"! :P

Good points and bad points from each.. However if they are checking each website themselves then i suppose this could help. Dont forget Mcafee is only one of the pieces of software that is used this day and age. Also another thing to remember, alot of people hate Mcafee and would never use the program.

I think these virus scanners will do anything to become the top brand. Norton and McAfee are the primary PAID anti-virus scanners. I've always had problems with Norton. I think it's a virus itself. Often when I've installed it, I've never been able to access my wifi afterwards, and then the whole system crashes when I try to uninstall it.While I have no real big complaints about McAfee, I always felt like it was never doing its full job. It might sit there and boast its big name, but when it came to scanning viruses, I had always felt that it would miss files and never felt fully protected. Of course, I'm talking about McAfee a few years ago. Maybe they've turned around and become amazing. But I doubt it.So them boasting about being able to do this.. I'm not quite convinced. It's not the first time they've been something "award winning" before. And I wonder who gave the reward. Okay, so I'm a bit biased and untrusting here when it comes to these "top" names. I'm an Avast user and ever since I've switched to the free anti-virus software, I always found it was more useful. Even if it was free, it did a lot more than I ever got out of the paid virus scanners.

My post was about introducing the "review" feature of MacAfee-- with a green check beside our link on google search result, googlers are easier to visit our sites.As for the anti-virus program itself-- although I use it and continue renew the subscription every year, but I really doubt if it has done its job. When I don't visit "bad places", I'm virus free. When I visit "bad places", I sure got trouble. It's not just MacAfee, I used Norton some years ago, the same situation. So, my conclusion is-- good browsing habit is the ultimate way to protect my PC. Actually, it's an advice given by a software engineer.For a certain period of time, I use virtual machine to visit "bad places" or try unknown software. Without any anti-virus software installed, the virtual machine strategy kept me virus free for 2 years. It was one of my "brilliont" idea, I was happy with the result. But since Windows become heavier and heavier, running a virtual machine on top of host machine became a bit heavy for my old PC.So, I changed to use limited account. This change has been proved to be wise. I first make a backup of settings of this limited account. Then, start using it. Whenever get trouble, delete it and start a new limited account, import the settings. It takes only 10 minutes from getting trouble to start using new limited account. I don't even need to know what is the trouble. I posted a tutorial on how to do it in details.From the limited account experience, I realize that windows group policy and firewall itself is enough to keep us stay safe.