xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

Wordpress Themes Best Suited For Static Looking Websites

I want to create a static looking website on wordpress core and I know it is possible. The theme of a website is very important and I know that any theme can be set up to make static looking webpages (though I do not know how to set up the themes). I am looking for a wordpress theme that is actually built for static looking websites and does not need much modifications for static looking websites.Please share with me if you know of any such theme.

Current default theme called 'twenty10' is very basic and by just editing the header you can get very powerful simple static design. You don't any other theme if you just want adsense optimized simple static theme. Twenty10 is fast loading and the typography is also very good which i suggest to those who are new to wordpress. Just make sure you change the header to something related to your own site that will do instead of searching other themes. If you want another theme read on..Other than that there are plenty of good themes for static sites - thematic is one of them. Thematic is simple, white, 2 column theme that you can modify easily to your way in order to get the static feel. Thematic is very powerful theme which is very simple looking like 2010 theme and can let you customize many things for ads. K2 is theme suitable for weblogs but can be modified to look good for static sites. If you want a theme for adsense ads then this one is perfect. I used it on many friends site to get some optimization rolling. How to setup themes ? Simple. Just go to appearance tab and then go to themes menu. One you get to this page you get some preinstalled themes page. You can see the upload link on that page. Use the uploader to upload the themes from your computer to wordpress. If it doesn't work on Xisto due to permission issue (i know servers behave crappy sometimes) then you have to manually add to wp-content/themes directory on your cpanel. Plugins if you need will require to setup using same method like themes only you have to go to plugins page and use the uploader and search functions to search and install plugins. If it fails for asta then manually upload the plugins. For your static site make these changes. Go to your dashboard> settings (which is bottom tab). Go to discussion menu and there uncheck the options for trackbacks, comments and notify other blogs option. This will make your site more static and will not give dynamic updates or ability to comment on your static page.

I feel TwentyTen is the best. Speed is the thing. Nowadays when people click your site, they don't wait it loading-- they leave for something else if your site is not opening upon their click.There are some nice themes. But when you dive into customizing, you can never find a theme which suits your needs without a lot of other stuffs that you don't need. For things you really need-- mostly you also need to modify a bit. So, I'd be better off choosing TwentyTen.TwentyTen represents WordPress newest techs, provides all WordPress has to offer. Whatever theme you choose, they all take time to learn and work on. So, I'd prefer work on TwentyTen.

Current default theme called 'twenty10' is very basic and by just editing the header you can get very powerful simple static design. You don't any other theme if you just want adsense optimized simple static theme. Twenty10 is fast loading and the typography is also very good which i suggest to those who are new to wordpress. Just make sure you change the header to something related to your own site that will do instead of searching other themes. If you want another theme read on..
Other than that there are plenty of good themes for static sites - thematic is one of them. Thematic is simple, white, 2 column theme that you can modify easily to your way in order to get the static feel. Thematic is very powerful theme which is very simple looking like 2010 theme and can let you customize many things for ads.

K2 is theme suitable for weblogs but can be modified to look good for static sites. If you want a theme for adsense ads then this one is perfect. I used it on many friends site to get some optimization rolling.

How to setup themes ? Simple. Just go to appearance tab and then go to themes menu. One you get to this page you get some preinstalled themes page. You can see the upload link on that page. Use the uploader to upload the themes from your computer to wordpress. If it doesn't work on Xisto due to permission issue (i know servers behave crappy sometimes) then you have to manually add to wp-content/themes directory on your cpanel.

Plugins if you need will require to setup using same method like themes only you have to go to plugins page and use the uploader and search functions to search and install plugins. If it fails for asta then manually upload the plugins.

For your static site make these changes. Go to your dashboard> settings (which is bottom tab). Go to discussion menu and there uncheck the options for trackbacks, comments and notify other blogs option. This will make your site more static and will not give dynamic updates or ability to comment on your static page.

I checked both twenty ten and k2 themes and both were nice. I liked K2 more than twenty 10 because it does not have the drop down menu and for my website, I do not need any drop down menu.
You have discussed themes and I have some related questions to ask from you.
You said that I should modify the header to be more related to my website. What do you mean by that and How can I modify the header?
How can I reduce the size of the header to a more sleek one rather than the default broad header?
How can I add google ads to the website?. I need to place a link unit just below the navigation of the page. An ad unit on the left side of the page in a separate sidebar. I want a portion above the ad placed in the left sidebar for Links to pages that are related to the current page. I want place an ad unit below the title of the page in the body but above the first paragraph. I want an ad unit below the Menu in the right sidebar? Please guide me how can I add these links.
Can I change the color of the buttons and links all over the website. I want my links to appear in different color than in which they are appearing now

I feel TwentyTen is the best. Speed is the thing. Nowadays when people click your site, they don't wait it loading-- they leave for something else if your site is not opening upon their click.There are some nice themes. But when you dive into customizing, you can never find a theme which suits your needs without a lot of other stuffs that you don't need. For things you really need-- mostly you also need to modify a bit. So, I'd be better off choosing TwentyTen.
TwentyTen represents WordPress newest techs, provides all WordPress has to offer. Whatever theme you choose, they all take time to learn and work on. So, I'd prefer work on TwentyTen.

If twentyten is the fastest wordpress theme then I think I should go for it as well but I liked K2 more than twentyten. If I can remove the drop down menus from the twenty ten theme, then I can give it a try. If you know how to avoid the sub pages of a parent page form appearing in the drop down menu, then please guide me.

Dropdown menu is created only when you add child page to the current parent page. For your default site without any child page it will not create any drop down menu. By the way even K2 will create drop down menu if you add child page to it. Don't just go by the looks, this functionality is in almost every CMS out there. Just because one theme shows you drop down doesn't mean it can't be removed or disabled.For header, i mean that 2010 theme comes up with it's own header which is not related to your site. So while editing you should replace it with your own header. Or you can make it without header to keep things simple for you and readers. You can modify the header by going into the theme directory and then locating 2010 theme and by checking the header image. Replace it with your own or remove the CSS value for image by going into appearance >editor >style.css. You can also modify values for header in CSS files for broad or narrow view.You can add google ads inside wordpress by using advertising manager plugin. It accepts code from many ad networks and suggests you better position for it. But Make sure you place google ad in sidebar in order to earn more. You can change the color of buttons and links by editing the css of the theme. I suggest keeping backup of old theme in case you mess up with things. Do the css editing offline and if you like the effects then upload the css via ftp editor.

Dropdown menu is created only when you add child page to the current parent page. For your default site without any child page it will not create any drop down menu. By the way even K2 will create drop down menu if you add child page to it. Don't just go by the looks, this functionality is in almost every CMS out there. Just because one theme shows you drop down doesn't mean it can't be removed or disabled.
For header, i mean that 2010 theme comes up with it's own header which is not related to your site. So while editing you should replace it with your own header. Or you can make it without header to keep things simple for you and readers. You can modify the header by going into the theme directory and then locating 2010 theme and by checking the header image. Replace it with your own or remove the CSS value for image by going into appearance >editor >style.css. You can also modify values for header in CSS files for broad or narrow view.

You can add google ads inside wordpress by using advertising manager plugin. It accepts code from many ad networks and suggests you better position for it. But Make sure you place google ad in sidebar in order to earn more.

You can change the color of buttons and links by editing the css of the theme. I suggest keeping backup of old theme in case you mess up with things. Do the css editing offline and if you like the effects then upload the css via ftp editor.

I have experimented with wordpress a lot yesterday. I have found that the best suiting theme for me is Mystique. It is a bit slow but I am fine with it. The best point in this theme is that even a novice like me can modify it to his needs by the editor given with the theme. I have also figured out how to work with drop down menu of the top navigation bar and I have also learned how to make specific item display on specific pages by the use of widget logic plugin. I have also learned how to make a static page your front page and how to keep the static looking site and the blog side by side.
I have a few problems left and when I get enough experience to solve them, I will start building my website in wordpress

If it is slow then you should avoid it because visitors and search engines prefer faster theme. Even if you get dull and simple theme go for it but never go for slow theme. Your site will have lot of images in future and that will slow down the page loading plus if the them is already slow then this will increase the time. Think about readers and pick the theme which is right for adsense click and simplicity. Have fun building your site with wordpress.

I want to create a static looking website on wordpress core and I know it is possible. The theme of a website is very important and I know that any theme can be set up to make static looking webpages (though I do not know how to set up the themes). I am looking for a wordpress theme that is actually built for static looking websites and does not need much modifications for static looking websites.Please share with me if you know of any such theme.

how simple is this site? it might pay just to make do it without wordpress if you require the simplest way (from a static point of view) ... and just chuck in a few .inc files

i remember when i use to create 1 to 5 pages sites i just create a 1 page theme and use include files on sections that would regularly change...