xisto Community
Ahsaniqbalkmc

The Correct Wordpress Plugin

I have installed wordpress on a subdomain of my website and I want to make a website that looks like static content bases website and not like a blog which is arranged on the basis of time. I want my website to be arranged on the basis of pages of my website and for this I will have to create more pages instead of creating more posts. I am looking for a plugin in wordpress which allows me to display certain links of my internal pages on a webpage and also allow me to hide the link of other internal pages which I do not want to display. I think I should further elaborate my issue.I want a index page having links to page1 page2 and page3. Then I want page1 to have links to index page, page2 and page3. These links I want to appear in the main navigation bar. I also want another menu in the sidebar which will be the main menu of my website's pages having the links to other pages than the top level pages like home page, page1, page2, or page3. This main menu will contain links to page1a, page1b and page1c. I also want to hide the link to page1d to appear in the menu.I think I have explained my issue with enough ease of understanding. Please tell me which plug-in I will need.

You don't need to use plugin for this simple thing. Plugins are used to extend the capability of the CMS. In this case, the thing that you want is already possible with wordpress core modules. You just have to go ahead and layout the map by implementing things in your mind. Follow these steps (i hope i understood your question correctly).1. Go to your wordpress dashboard - click pages. 2. Create new pages and name it whatever you want for page1 for your site. 3. Create another page and add it under parent of page 1 if you want to add page which is scrollable in menu under page 1. 4. For new parent page follow the step2 and for child page follow the step 3. You can assign parent pages using the template settings in right hand side under the publish button. This is very simple that you don't have to use any plugin to get this feature to working. Hope this helps to get what you want.

As starscream suggested, creating child pages is a very convinient way to organize your pages. Beside this, if you want more places to display your links, WordPress provides a very handy widget "Custom Menu". First, You can go go Appearance / Menu , create your own menus. Let's say, you create "Primary" and "Secondary";Second, go to Appearance / Widgets, drag and drop "Custom Menu" into any Widgets Area, it will open for you to choose, you'll see your "Primary" and "Secondary" are listed there, choose one, save, close. You'll see the menue appears on your page.

You don't need to use plugin for this simple thing. Plugins are used to extend the capability of the CMS. In this case, the thing that you want is already possible with wordpress core modules. You just have to go ahead and layout the map by implementing things in your mind.
Follow these steps (i hope i understood your question correctly).

1. Go to your wordpress dashboard - click pages.
2. Create new pages and name it whatever you want for page1 for your site.
3. Create another page and add it under parent of page 1 if you want to add page which is scrollable in menu under page 1.
4. For new parent page follow the step2 and for child page follow the step 3.

You can assign parent pages using the template settings in right hand side under the publish button.

This is very simple that you don't have to use any plugin to get this feature to working. Hope this helps to get what you want.

I do not want the page1a or page1b etc to appear in any type of menu on my homepage whether it is a drop down or whatever. Also please tell me that suppose I have a main page (a page which is child of no other page) and I do not want its link to be displayed on another main page but I want its link to appear on the index page, what should I do?. Normally when the main pages are added, a link to them would be either visible or not visible at all. (I even do not know how to make the link to a page invisible on all other pages but that is not my goal for the time being).

As starscream suggested, creating child pages is a very convinient way to organize your pages. Beside this, if you want more places to display your links, WordPress provides a very handy widget "Custom Menu". First, You can go go Appearance / Menu , create your own menus. Let's say, you create "Primary" and "Secondary";
Second, go to Appearance / Widgets, drag and drop "Custom Menu" into any Widgets Area, it will open for you to choose, you'll see your "Primary" and "Secondary" are listed there, choose one, save, close. You'll see the menue appears on your page.

Yes you are right that child pages are very convenient for structuring websites but the problem in my case is that I want to make the links to certain child pages visible on the parent page while at the same time I want them to be not visible on other child pages of the same parent page. I know it can be simple but I am not familiar with wordpress so I cannot figure it out.

2 ways to make a page invisible:#1. If your theme support "Custom Menu", it probabely provide you an option to check which page you want to appear on the menu, uncheck all pages that you want it invisible and you are done;#2. If your theme doesn't provide you such an option, you go straight to header.php, it's in the theme's folder. Reading through the file, find the menu section, delete the whole section and you are done.To make child visible on parent page while parent not visible on child page--Normally themes provide this choice. If not, can go to theme developer's support site to ask for how to do it. If don't want to bother them, can just do without the parent/child system.I'm not sure what you mean index page. In WordPress, the index.php is just a way to call call the templates. When a template not available, it will be used as default. If you want a page to display all the links to your page, you can make a list style page. Some themes provide this list template. If your theme doesn't provide it, you'll need to create your own. In this case, you'll need to learn a bit about custom post type or custom fields, either way is good for making lists.

2 ways to make a page invisible:#1. If your theme support "Custom Menu", it probabely provide you an option to check which page you want to appear on the menu, uncheck all pages that you want it invisible and you are done;
#2. If your theme doesn't provide you such an option, you go straight to header.php, it's in the theme's folder. Reading through the file, find the menu section, delete the whole section and you are done.

To make child visible on parent page while parent not visible on child page--
Normally themes provide this choice. If not, can go to theme developer's support site to ask for how to do it. If don't want to bother them, can just do without the parent/child system.

I'm not sure what you mean index page. In WordPress, the index.php is just a way to call call the templates. When a template not available, it will be used as default. If you want a page to display all the links to your page, you can make a list style page. Some themes provide this list template. If your theme doesn't provide it, you'll need to create your own. In this case, you'll need to learn a bit about custom post type or custom fields, either way is good for making lists.

Please elaborate a little more on the concept of index.php in wordpress. Is it not the same as index.html in HTML. If not, then what is the function of index.php ans suppose someone writes some content on the index.php page, what will happen to the content on that page if it is not treated as index.html

You can write html code in index.php. However, the index.php is mainly used to call templates. You can consider it as a general manager, it calls the templates to do specific jobs. Maybe an example can make it clear-- let's say, you want to display a search box on your page, you will write:

<?php locate_template( array( 'searchform.php' ), true ) ?>

This code calls the search form template. It is the searchform.php that does the coding job to generate the search box. The location of the search form depends on where you put this call in the index.php.This is very different from the index page in html system. To make it simple and straight-- you can't use index.php for displaying your link page. You must create a template for the links page. You can either code the links in the links-page templage or only create a simple structure of the links-page and write the links on the page when post it. After the links-page template created, you can use it when you post your pages, or you can call it in the index.php file. for example, somewhere in the index.php, when need, you can write:

<?php locate_template( array( 'links-page.php' ), true ) ?>

This code will display your linlks-page as a block in a page.-- of course I know you don't want to do this, but it's just to show you how index.php works.

You don't want drop down menu ? that's weird. and you have plenty of pages that are related with your parent page and you want to just populate your menubar with more and more pages ? jeez. worst design thinking ever i came across.Anyway. You can make individual pages diappear by making your menu custom. You can then add only index page and the current page link to that menu. Rest of the pages will not appear on that menu. This is the worst design thinking i ever came across ahsan. You have given a good menu and a perfect navigation method by any CMS and you're altering it for your own navigational assumption? Think about it, your visitors will hate it in the longer run. Keep your navigation linked and related. it's good for SEO and visitors. About index.php- is the main file from which all the elements of the page are called for example.Index.php makes call to your header, sidebar, footer, content. You can manually edit these alternative files and all these will reflect when index page is loaded. This is modular way of working with website. Just like your do with static site only difference here is that it's much better than static pages.

You don't want drop down menu ? that's weird. and you have plenty of pages that are related with your parent page and you want to just populate your menubar with more and more pages ? jeez. worst design thinking ever i came across.
Anyway. You can make individual pages diappear by making your menu custom. You can then add only index page and the current page link to that menu. Rest of the pages will not appear on that menu. This is the worst design thinking i ever came across ahsan. You have given a good menu and a perfect navigation method by any CMS and you're altering it for your own navigational assumption? Think about it, your visitors will hate it in the longer run. Keep your navigation linked and related. it's good for SEO and visitors.

About index.php- is the main file from which all the elements of the page are called for example.

Index.php makes call to your header, sidebar, footer, content. You can manually edit these alternative files and all these will reflect when index page is loaded. This is modular way of working with website. Just like your do with static site only difference here is that it's much better than static pages.

You are right making a site without extended navigation might not be a good idea but I think I hav to do it. I have structure of website in which I have to go at least 4 levels deep. I know this is not good from SEO point of view but to make my site easy to structure for my self, I have to do it or other wise it will be all a mess. So if I have 5 parent pages and each has 5 children, and each children have 5 levle2 children and each level 2 children have 5 level 3 children, the drop down menu can become a mess.
If you have any idea how can I structure this type of website.

Drop down menu will be mess but it's not the only way to go things right ? As i said in another thread you can create menu like shown in site - telegraph.co.uk. This menu is not drop down but more of roll over or clickover menu which will create child under parent menu item in horizontal way. This horizontal menu is more structured layout that drop down menu. You don't have to force drop down view on parent child menu items. I hope you get it. There are many menu items styling possible if you can look at the wordpress menus tutorials. Make sure you code those menus correctly because you want to go deep level and keeping the looks good.

Drop down menu will be mess but it's not the only way to go things right ? As i said in another thread you can create menu like shown in site - telegraph.co.uk. This menu is not drop down but more of roll over or clickover menu which will create child under parent menu item in horizontal way. This horizontal menu is more structured layout that drop down menu.
You don't have to force drop down view on parent child menu items. I hope you get it. There are many menu items styling possible if you can look at the wordpress menus tutorials. Make sure you code those menus correctly because you want to go deep level and keeping the looks good.

I have checked the menu on the site you mentioned. It was really nice but I cannot use it on my website because if I do not place a main menu in the sidebar I will not have enough material to be placed on the sidebar and it will look rather empty. So what I need is A vertical drop down menu.
Do you know how can I create a vertical drop down menu in the sidebar.

I have figured out how to limit the display of number of items in the drop down of top navigation bar so I have no problem with it. I just need to know how to create a vertical drop down menu in the sidebar.

:P You're avoiding navigation menu in the excuse of less content for sidebar ? Why not repeat the category menu again in sidebar. This will do the same thing that you want in navigation. You're working with CMS, don't worry about stuff like you do in static site. There is always content on navigation and sidebar. Just make sure your site is accesible by placing links in sidebar and navigation. You have to read tutorials about that menu. This i guess is accomplished with breadcrumb or fish menu system in wordpress. Search more on google for wordpress menu and possible other things with it ask on other forums.

I think you need something like this http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

If you checked it out, there is a sub menu or grouping that i made with categories. For that page alone it can go to
"Coding Tips " or "Online Security" or "Programming". This can be represented by a drop down but i trimmed and styled it down cleanly. There is an equal menu on the side bar which was styled in a way that it will look like 2 deep menu. The top most menu is just a selection on what category will shop up on that particular area.

The extra menu on the top which is "home" and "contact" are the actual pages.

Your problem is removing the date part, that can be easily done by modifying the current template and commenting out the date function.

My actual menu is between 2-5 menu deep :P
some post are invisible to anyone except to site authors.

The site is still in the process of being updated to match the general public's interest on how data is presented so don't be surprised if things move around on random occasion.

Ahsan, look at vhortex's site and then tell me if content in navigation distracts you. I mean he does have content in sidebar plus navigation. Navigation content can be increased by using categories and tags. Categories and tags can bring you some search engine traffic. Google and bing these days are keeping eye on categories which they think are important. So why not put categories on front page or create another archive page and use all tags and categories there ? This will solve your problem. Plus take a look at the URL posted by vhortex that will surely help you.