xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
The Simpleton1405241582

How Can One Derive Their Own Browser From Firefox?

The simple answer to that would be - from the source-code! but what I want to know is how long would it take for a person to create their own Firefox derivative. Recently there was some talk about the browser Epic which was just another Firefox derivative with a few bells and whistles attached. Of course they did a lot of hard work developing the new browser, but it wasn't exactly innovative to someone who knew what it was made of actually! So my question is, how long does it take to create such a browser and how hard is it?

Are you talking about creating a guy for some browser engine? It depends on the engine I guess..

I can create a browser with IE engine with C# and .NET in like 5 minutes, but it won't have a lot of functions in those 5 minutes, but it will work..

I never used other engines to do something similar, so I can't say, but it's not very hard, you can look at the project Swift browser, which was the first Webkit engine browser on Windows, a quite young programmer was creating it, and I don't think he did it for very long, as I know he was using .NET but later Safari was ported with Windows interface and a bit more later Google Chrome come with Webkit engine and there doesn't seem to be any purpose for Swift browser? It almost every time was in alpha stage, but was very fast.

There are lots of browsers using the same engines, just Opera is using it's own engine and no other browser as I know it's closed source?

Here is a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browser_engines