xisto Community
yordan

Is It Possible To Save A Gmail Backup To A File ? for offline browsing purposes

Yes open office does a great job, but then its a bit more work of manually copying and pasting it. Yordan's idea of pdf printer is more easier, as it is just the matter of pressing Ctrl + P and saving the pdf.

Oh I suggested that just because you said the text was not selectable. Pdf printer is certainly a faster way if you want the whole page as PDF. If you want to select just some text and convert it into PDF then the open office method is much faster than other pdf converters.

Oh I suggested that just because you said the text was not selectable. Pdf printer is certainly a faster way if you want the whole page as PDF. If you want to select just some text and convert it into PDF then the open office method is much faster than other pdf converters.

No, no need to select part of a text.If I wanted to select part of a text, I would simply copy this part of text and paste it in a word processor. I really wanted to save the whole mail, with sender, date and name of attached files.
And, yes, CutePdf creates selectable pdf files, you can select part of the text or select a picture.

No, no need to select part of a text.

Well yordan I was referring to this part by Spencer:

For exact replicas of web content which keeps formatting intact, web2pdf is good, but unfortunately the text is non selectable which is a big strike against this.

CutePdf seems to have a lot of useful features. I think I'll use it to backup my mail too. I never exactly was fully happy with Thunderbird in the first place anyway. This is a much neater way to save important mails.....

I configured my Google Apps e-mail (works just like Gmail) with POP disabled and IMAP enabled. IMAP will keep a copy of the e-mail on the server by default (POP requires that you remember that setting in the e-mail client). Just login to your gmail account and go into Settings (link near top right). Click on the tab labeled "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" and configure it there.I used to use Thunderbird which kept all the e-mails in an mbox file format. You could save individual ones if you wanted via Thunderbird.However I now use a custom Perl script I wrote that downloads every e-mail into separate folders and files. The entire e-mail message and attachments are kept within one MIME message format file which can easily be opened on other computers with Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, etc. This is mainly done for backup purposes but also as an easy way to search archives of my e-mails.Google limits the speed at which you can download. Pulling 13,000 messages from my account takes about 3 hours. It would be faster, but Google has to limit the number of connections to 2 in order to prevent overloading the system.

Can be stored in a Google document. Gmail has a link in the upper right corner.

Thanks for the info. However, Google documents can easily be imported from a file on your PC. But there is no easy way to import the text of a mail.
Unless there is something I didn't understand in the Google Docs menus?

Your question made me curious, so I checked the settings, and then pressed on the "offline"-tab, and there you might find something interesting, I'm not quite sure, but you might want to check it out =)Edit------You might want to press the "read more" link to read about it and make sure it's what you want =)------Regards/Feelay | Nanashi

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

i am also interested on any ideas of development that is on going related to what yordan posted.backing up my entire inbox takes at least 6 hours to take even if the file downloads only takes 1 hour for my thousand of emails in my main inbox.it is important to me to be able to see all informations like email sender, sending server's name/address/IP and other stuffs that gmail stores. this items are not important aspects for most people however i require the special aspect of getting this extra info backup together with the attachments that they have and any related files that is of concern.the extra headers will help me tell apart the spam and the valid mails, even if google have a very nice spam feature.. some still go past the protection by spoofing email addresses and sender server name's. the extra info also tells me if the mail was sent by a php script via automated alerts that i have inserted on CRON jobs or sent manually by a server admin for technical reasons.

Can be stored in a Google document. Gmail has a link in the upper right corner.

Depends probably from your contry.In my gmail window, the upper right corner has three links : "parameters", "help" and "logout". Which one are you talking about?

Depends probably from your contry.In my gmail window, the upper right corner has three links : "parameters", "help" and "logout". Which one are you talking about?

Mine have

"myemail@gmail.com | lab button | Settings | Help | Sign out"

@zzj
I think yordan was using the old version of Gmail, i am using the skinned version of Gmail from Google Labs. Just for verification, I'll try later to shutdown the content rich feature and the lab tools that is active on my Gmail then go down to HTML basic mode.

I seem lost the ability to modify my post above so I'll post this on a new message. Please combine with the past post if needed.

I swap Gmail versions and toogled my features but still I can't find the menu item that zzj mentioned.
Checking the Lab tools, there was an experimental "Create a Document" plugin by Jeremie LE & David K which will add a new menu items on the right when you are viewing an email.

New windowPrint allCreate a documentExpand allCollapse allForward all

When I clicked the button, it opens up Google docs with the email content. The link is thread aware so any email thread will have all the replies and the original mail and any similar mail considered as a thread by gmail imported into 1 google document. The feature still lacks getting the added header info from being imported but it you like to just convert to google docs then this tool is for you.

There is a bad thing about this one, it is experimental and since it is a Lab item.. its lifespan is unknown. The plugin can be removed anytime they want.

Thanks, vhortex, now I see. It's a lab feature. It allows you to convert a mail to a google document. Then I will have to export the document to my PC, because the goal of this topic is to be able to retrieve the document, even when my DSL modem is out of order.