xisto Community
ArashS

Phpmyadmin Hebrew [solved] how to put hebrew char in phpmyadmin

Hi, I want to put hebrew text in a (varchar) Field but instead of to see the right hebrew characters phpmyadmin put couple of question marks!Even wehen i import my csv file within combination normale char and hebrew char AND i set Character set of the file: to UTF_8 or Hebrew, I still get de quistion marks in place of Hebrew characters. How can i setup right phpmyadmin to get my hebrew char right?

I guess that you did not create your database with the hebrew characterset definition.In order to train yourself, use phpmyadmin or your cpanel utility in order to create a database, and check that the characterset of the database is not UTF8, but is hebrew. Then create a table, and insert rows in that table, with american and then with hebrew characters.Of course, your PC and your browser must also have a charcaterset definition which matches the mysql one.

Your right, i didn't made the db. I just need a clear CSV conversion of that file which i can upload to my mySql server and make my website.

I see what was going wrong. During conversion i used the option UTF-16 instead of UTF-8 which is not probably supported by phpmyadmin.

Now i got my records 90% ok. Still I get next to some hebrew sentences not the regular question mark but � this black rectangle with question mark in side of it. Could you show me where should i look at in my configuration to let this � char be replaced by the correct one or at least be disappear. Should I have to perform some change in to coming table in my phpmyadmin oprations:

Table options Rename table to Table comments Storage Engine

MEMORY MyISAM BLACKHOLE MRG_MYISAM CSV ARCHIVE InnoDB Collation armscii8_bin armscii8_general_ci ascii_bin ascii_general_ci big5_bin big5_chinese_ci binary cp1250_bin cp1250_croatian_ci cp1250_czech_cs cp1250_general_ci cp1250_polish_ci cp1251_bin cp1251_bulgarian_ci cp1251_general_ci cp1251_general_cs cp1251_ukrainian_ci cp1256_bin cp1256_general_ci cp1257_bin cp1257_general_ci cp1257_lithuanian_ci cp850_bin cp850_general_ci cp852_bin cp852_general_ci cp866_bin cp866_general_ci cp932_bin cp932_japanese_ci dec8_bin dec8_swedish_ci eucjpms_bin eucjpms_japanese_ci euckr_bin euckr_korean_ci gb2312_bin gb2312_chinese_ci gbk_bin gbk_chinese_ci geostd8_bin geostd8_general_ci greek_bin greek_general_ci hebrew_bin hebrew_general_ci hp8_bin hp8_english_ci keybcs2_bin keybcs2_general_ci koi8r_bin koi8r_general_ci koi8u_bin koi8u_general_ci latin1_bin latin1_danish_ci latin1_general_ci latin1_general_cs latin1_german1_ci latin1_german2_ci latin1_spanish_ci latin1_swedish_ci latin2_bin latin2_croatian_ci latin2_czech_cs latin2_general_ci latin2_hungarian_ci latin5_bin latin5_turkish_ci latin7_bin latin7_estonian_cs latin7_general_ci latin7_general_cs macce_bin macce_general_ci macroman_bin macroman_general_ci sjis_bin sjis_japanese_ci swe7_bin swe7_swedish_ci tis620_bin tis620_thai_ci ucs2_bin ucs2_czech_ci ucs2_danish_ci ucs2_esperanto_ci ucs2_estonian_ci ucs2_general_ci ucs2_hungarian_ci ucs2_icelandic_ci ucs2_latvian_ci ucs2_lithuanian_ci ucs2_persian_ci ucs2_polish_ci ucs2_roman_ci ucs2_romanian_ci ucs2_slovak_ci ucs2_slovenian_ci ucs2_spanish2_ci ucs2_spanish_ci ucs2_swedish_ci ucs2_turkish_ci ucs2_unicode_ci ujis_bin ujis_japanese_ci utf8_bin utf8_czech_ci utf8_danish_ci utf8_esperanto_ci utf8_estonian_ci utf8_general_ci utf8_hungarian_ci utf8_icelandic_ci utf8_latvian_ci utf8_lithuanian_ci utf8_persian_ci utf8_polish_ci utf8_roman_ci utf8_romanian_ci utf8_slovak_ci utf8_slovenian_ci utf8_spanish2_ci utf8_spanish_ci utf8_swedish_ci utf8_turkish_ci utf8_unicode_ci PACK_KEYS DEFAULT 0 1 CHECKSUM DELAY_KEY_WRITE ROW_FORMATFIXED DYNAMIC

yordan said:

I guess that you did not create your database with the hebrew characterset definition.

In order to train yourself, use phpmyadmin or your cpanel utility in order to create a database, and check that the characterset of the database is not UTF8, but is hebrew. Then create a table, and insert rows in that table, with american and then with hebrew characters.

Of course, your PC and your browser must also have a charcaterset definition which matches the mysql one.

No, still I got the same prob. Here is what I want to do and it doesnât work.
I have a FileMaker pro file. I donât know this application. But I export my file in excel Ă  it looks ok but I canât upload excel to my mysql. So I tried export my.fp7 (FileMaker pro) file into CSV with utf-8. Export finish then look at my CSV fileĂ  instead of my Hebrew chars I see some symbols. They are probably ok but I donât know if it exported 100% as the way it should. I import csv to my PhpMyAdmin with and without setting âCollationâ to âHebrew_general_ciâ. As result in the table overview on PhpMyAdmin still seeing the symbols instead of Hebrew chars. When I select en echo this table with php on my browser I get 70% of Hebrew chars ok and the rest a black rectangle with question mark in it. I check and I see the same Hebrew font â Aharoniâ which is used by FileMaker pro is already installed on my pc. So the browser should actually be able to show everything fine. But it doesnât!

@ArasjS: Have you already been able to display Hebrew characters with your browser?

OK, the hebrew language is istalled but this does not mean that each software will display it correctly. Did you try, with your browser on your PC, to go in the internet to a website displaying something with hebrew character ?

That looks ok. I can search and watch all website on https://www.google.co.il/?gws_rd=ssl correctly and hebrew chars are fine. Even for my website i use a hebrew virtual keyboard. With this keyboar i can pass hebrew chars to my php script and call up them back on my browser. Everything goes ok. So probleem should not be my browser.

OK, the hebrew language is istalled but this does not mean that each software will display it correctly. Did you try, with your browser on your PC, to go in the internet to a website displaying something with hebrew character ?

The problem is solved. I just have to set MySQL connection collation: to utf8_unicode_ci. it works for 99% correct conversion. Still a few hebrew letters replaced by question mark. By the way all American words look exactlly as the English ones :)

Sorry, my mistake, I was thinking about the USASCII code, which is obviously English ASCII code.