xisto Community
tansqrx

How Much Are You Worth To The Online Black Market?

I picked up on an article posted on Slashdot entitled How Much Is Your Online Identity Worth? (https://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/09/10/1837233/How-Much-Is-Your-Online-Identity-Worth). Symantec is offering a free tool that will calculate how much your online identity will go for on the open black market at https://us.norton.com/.

This is obviously an advertisement for Norton Antivirus 2010 as there are large advertisements for it all over the page. I took the quiz and I think it asked all the right questions such as:

⢠Can you access and pay your credit card online?
⢠Do you use peer-to-peer file sharing to download free music and video from people you donât know?
⢠Do you reveal personal information online, like you full name, your birthday, your address, you hometown, or anything that can be used to personally identify you?

I was honest in all of my answers and received a score of low risk. The low risk was a surprise because I answered yes to almost all of the questions. The price for all of my digital information is around $22.22.

I took the questionaire and my digital information was worth around $180 with medium risk. Most of my answers were no, like I dont use credit cards for online shopping, which I considered to be the influential score turner at the end.The website has lots of good information, and some humorous videos exposing the reality of black markets. I would say the videos are very funny and must see. Very interesting site indeed. Thanks for sharing with us.

My info was worth about $130.00. Not quite accurate, since some of the questions I answered yes to could use a "sometimes" or "yes*" answer. And even though I use an unsecured wireless network, you have to be practically right in my house to get any signal whatsoever. Still quite surprised.