xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
khalilov

Frames Scrolling

I am using both frames and fields to design my website, and i need help with something.

<html><head><title>Page</title></head><frameset cols="25%,75%"><frame scrolling='auto' src="1.html><frame scrolling='yes' src="2.html></frameset></html>
the 25% frame is a menu , and the 75% page is the main page. The menu has many options and thus sometimes needs scrolling, the main page naturally needs scrolling. What i want to happen is have one scroll bar for both of them, as if both frames were just one. I know this can be achieved by using fields instead of frames and position them using CSS but i'v already designed most of the web.
Can someone also please tell me whats the difference between having scrolling set to 'auto' and 'yes' because they seem the same to me.

Appreciated.

1. Don't use frames, they're deprecipated.

scrolling = auto|yes|no [CI]This attribute specifies scroll information for the frame window. Possible values
auto: This value tells the user agent to provide scrolling devices for the frame window when necessary. This is the default value.
yes: This value tells the user agent to always provide scrolling devices for the frame window.
no: This value tells the user agent not to provide scrolling devices for the frame window.

scr: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html

I would like to echo wutske about giving frames a second thought. I used to have frames on my site but I moved to CSS for one major reason, mobile phone browsers. I personally think frames are a great idea and they have their place if implemented correctly. The problem is that most of the phone browsers do not support them or they completely screw them up. My website was slit into five sections with a boarder around each edge and the content in the middle. When viewed on some browsers, only the first frame would be shown and the content was left out. I started seeing a large trend towards mobile browsers and then complaints started showing up. For the best interest of my users I completely redesigned the site and it is now strictly CSS.I found that CSS has its own set of problems and a large learning curve if you’re not familiar with it. With that said, I believe it is more powerful and you will be doing yourself a favor by going to CSS soon. Since you have most of your site already designed, I would go ahead and publish what you have and then work on transferring it to CSS over time. I personally use Adobe Dreamweaver which helped a lot with the CSS. CSS was still too much for me to handle at the beginning so I also bought a interactive Dreamweaver tutorial which made all the difference in the world.