xisto Community
FirefoxRocks

Old Mysql? [solved]

I'm in phpMyAdmin right now and I see that the version of MySQL used on the Xisto servers is 4.1.22. This seems quite old because MySQL 5.1 was released in November 2008.The latest stable version is 5.1.36 and was released approximately 20 days ago. Since we are using an older version of MySQL, when can we expect an upgrade?Not that I need to use anything specific to MySQL 5/5.1, but the PHP extension mysqli only works with MySQL 4.1.3+.

Please post a ticket under Support to get MySQL upgraded on the Server. We check our versions depending on CPanel Releases. These releases contain a lot more information regarding security and therefore we take them a lot more seriously than any other suggestions.However, we can always give the upgrade a try.. So sending a ticket will be a good reminder for us.Thanks again.Shree

There seems to be some confusion, Xisto isn't using the old 4.1.22 version of MySQL, it's using MySQL version 5.0.67-community (at least that's the on on gamma). Thing is that upgrading isn't always as easy as it sounds (especialy when going from 4.1 to 5.1). Upgrading an application on your computer isn't such a big problem because if something stops working after the upgrade, you could either revert the changes or look for a solution.On a (web)server, things are a little bit different. If you upgrade something and this new version is not 100% downwards compatible, you'll break a lot of websites that do depend on this (older) application. To make thing worse clients will start calling the support and sening e-mails and maybe even get mad or break the contract because you failed to comply to the SLA.

That's right, the mysql version coming with cpanel is effectiveley "MySQL version 5.0.67-community"
You can check this on from the "stats" on the left side of your cpanel main menu.
I see where the confusion is coming from :
When you start phpMyAdmin, you see the server side and the client side.
The server side is :

# Server version: 5.0.67-community# Protocol version: 10
# Server: Localhost via UNIX socket

and in the phpMyAdmin client-side, you see :

phpMyAdmin - 2.11.9.3# MySQL client version: 4.1.22
# Used PHP extensions: mysql

So, the 4.1.22 is only the phpMyAdmin client version, not the server version.