xisto Community
yordan

Ahci Cdrom ms-dos driver ?

Since a long time, I have used to have my favorite diagnosis tools on bootable ms-dos floppies. Now floppies are almost nowhere available, so I use a CD-ROM with a ms-dos boot.Usually, the drivers with WinMe floppy work fine.Unfortunately, they do not work with my last system, which has a AHCI CDROM. It boots correctly, I have the A> prompt, but my cd-rom drives are not initialized.Do you know where I can find the ms-dos drivers for the new CD-ROM hardware ?RegardsYordan

thanks, i'll have a look at it. I also googled a little bit, and seems that this is a general problem with the modern pc's, the only available driver I found, gcdrom, does not work.

thanks, i'll have a look at it. I also googled a little bit, and seems that this is a general problem with the modern pc's, the only available driver I found, gcdrom, does not work.

I think there is a piece of application that can be of immense help. it's called cdgod. it has all the cd drivers except SCSI drivers and is bundled with boot disk. there are different versions out there and you can just google to get a download and user instruction manual. that said you should also not that there are other issues that can prevent a system dictating the cd drive and you need to check them out - most prominent are: a. the cd connectors you need to check how the cd drive is connected to the system. you need to determine if it is an I/O connector card, Adaptec(mostly SCSI) or IDE and get specific help. b. check cd drive jumper settings. c. check cd drive itself

I don't believe that there are SATA drivers for MS-DOS as MS-DOS is ancient tech. Best to just use UBCD for diagnostics or repair.
Try and see if FreeDOS might help actually.

xboxrulz

already tried freedos, doesn't work.
My current workaround is booting from USB flashdisk, which I don't appreciate because I would prefer a CD version, because some motherboards refuse booting from USB.

already tried freedos, doesn't work.My current workaround is booting from USB flashdisk, which I don't appreciate because I would prefer a CD version, because some motherboards refuse booting from USB.

ya, it's a pain in the neck. Just 2 revisions ago, my motherboard supported BIOS flashing via USB key.

xboxrulz