xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Computer Suddently Blacks out Computer Turns Self Off

Computer Suddently Blacks outComputer Turns Self Off

We recently assembled a computer unit and installed the vista OS.  Now, after a few days, the CPU just blacks out randomly.  It won't turn on again unless you push the power button.  My friend suggests that the problem is with a faulty RAM coz it works fine when you remove the extra RAM. We are using 2GB memory. 

- OmengKeywords:

Probably it is your RAM. what module are you using? try replacing it with other brands. Try to remove any RAM and install the faulty one then use any benchmarking softwares to check if it is defective.

Re-install the extra ram and test your memory using memtest86 ( http://www.memtest86.com/ ). If I remember correctly, test number 5 is the best one to find faulty ram modules.
If you get errors, then rerun the test with every memory module apart.

If using both memory modules causes errors, but not when using a single module, then there's either something wrong with the motherboard or with the memory configuration (on memory module is causing the other to run faster than it's supposed to do).

There is also an outside possibility that you have heating or power supply issues. If the power supply is just on the verge of being overloaded then that extra RAM could cause it to go over the edge. The same is true for too much heat in the case. The CPU is set to turn off at a certain temperature.Since you said that taking one stick of RAM out cures the problem, you have a 99% chance that the RAM is bad. One thing that sticks out is you are not getting a Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) which usually accompanies a RAM problem. If the computer does go completely dead without Vista crashing and showing a blue screen, I would still consider the heat issue.

It happened with me.It most probably shows the BSoD and then closes the pc.Just check the ram there is the main problem.I had one of my RAM corrupted removing it solved the problem.

It happened with me.It most probably shows the BSoD and then closes the pc.Just check the ram there is the main problem.I had one of my RAM corrupted removing it solved the problem.

That's not possible, when Windows crashes and a BSoD is returned, the pc automaticaly reboot.

that happens for only the first 10-20 times then it does not restart or reboot.my computer showed the BSoD after every 10 min and then rebooted.After sometimes it stopped rebooting.

Alright, but it seems to me that it may happen again since you'd need to reboot at least 10 times to get it working again.I have suspicions that it's caused by overheating components. Do you have sufficient cooling and have you clear any dust off any fans?xboxrulz

That's not possible, when Windows crashes and a BSoD is returned, the pc automaticaly reboot.

You can set an option that will not automatically restart on a BSoD. I find that the BSoD is never displayed long enough so I leave the BSoD displayed until I manually restart. It is rare to get useful information from the blue screen but every now and then you may get lucky.

On Windows XP

1. Right click My Computer and select Properties

2. Click the Advanced tab

3. Click Settings under Startup and Recovery

4. Uncheck Automatically restart under System failure

Windows Vista has a similar setting under Startup and Recovery but I’m at work and only have a Windows XP machine and can’t remember the exact location.