xisto Community
iGuest

Sharing with a printer after removing 2 computers from a domain Sharing "domain" & "workgroup"

Sharing with a printer after removing 2 computers from a domainSharing "domain" & "workgroup"<p>My question is how do you share a printer over the two networks withoutRequiring so many permissions.  At my work there is a printer that I amTrying to share over a computer with Novell and is on a domain withWindows XP Pro a Dell LaserJet 1700 to 2 computers that cannot go onto a domain at the moment.  They also have Novell but have Windows 2000 Pro.</p><p>My boss is trying to figure this out but I would like to try as well.</p><p>Help would be appreciated.</p>

The problem is probably coming from user/passwords permission.
My first question is : is the printer directly attached to the XP computer, or is it a network computer? Because the printer name is slightly diffrent.
Now, let's do some non-destructive tests.
If you have the name of the printer, let's say it's \\printer , could you try attaching it from a command line prompt ?
The command line syntax would be :

net use \\printer /user:theuser
Of course, replace "theuser" with the username for a user in the domain having access to the printer in the domain. You will be asked for the password of "theuser".
If this is successful, tell me, we will be able to continue step by step.