xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darkeme

Hosting Problem Cant seem to get any kind of server public without hamachi...

Router : WRT54G2Modem : Westell F90-610015-06 (Verizon)Provider: VerizonProblem : I can't seem to host a server for anything I have tried. (Web server, game server, FTP servers, etc)      Before anyone goes about saying forward your ports, I have done them all correctly and have even enabled DMZ to servercomputer. Also I have set every computer in my house (5), so it has it's own static lan ip. I think my problem is my WAN IP, and I think this because if I put my hamachi ip in any of those servers it works perfectly. I am almost 100% sure it is because all 5 of my computers have the same WAN IP. Can anyone help me get my servers working, tell me if I can't host anything because of my single IP, or just offer some advice on my problem.Thanks,Darkeme  

If you have port forwarding set correctly, then the single external IP shouldn't be a problem. The (external) port number is arbitraty, it only tells the router to forward all data to an IP adres at a certain port.Eg. 80.86.54.5:65000 could be the external adress to access the your webserver at 10.10.10.1:80 . 80.86.54.5:15000 could be forwarding to another webserver at 10.10.10.50:80. Try ping'ing you server at the external IP adress and the forwarded port.

I forwarded my server to port 8080, setup wamp to listen on my ip:8080 and tried to ping at that port but says cannot find host, and if I remove the port it works just fine. Im sure I have forwarded it correctly though, I even reset router and modem and restarted the server pc.

Some service providers are now giving their customers DHCP private addresses and not publically routable addresses. What this means is that some ISP customers are getting IPs that are behind a NAT router from the ISP side and they will never be able to host a server because they donât have a ture public IP. You should check the IP that your ISP is giving you and see if it is in the range of 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x â 172.31.x.x, or 192.168.x.x (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network). If so then you do not have a public address and your only resolve is to complain to your ISP. Any complaints are likely to fall on deaf ears and the only way to run a server is to purchase a more expensive business plan with a static IP.This is only one possible case and may not apply to you.

Replying to DarkemeThere's a setting for the modem that allows the modem to pass through all traffic directly to your router and let it handle the firewall functions, you need to sign on to the Pro Line DSL modem at 192.168.1.1 and change it there. Then make sure your router handles all the security functions as needed.