xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Antenna And Wireless Range

Hey guys,I recently built a new media centre and I bought a wireless card because I'm not dragging another 30ft cable across my house. So, I bought the Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card for $20. It was a good deal. However, it'signal pickup isn't the best. My router is just the next room over but Windows Vista tells me it's only a Good signal (at 3/5). Would getting a new antenna to replace the stock one would make the signal be clearer or I'm stuck at this lower range?xboxrulz

3/5 isn't bad, I wouldn't worry too much if the speed isn't affected.
What you might try is turning the antenna in another direction, no omni-direction antenna is perfect and maybe you're sitting in it's weak spot.
You also mentioned there's at least one wall between you and the router. Do note that extremely thick walls and walls with old power lines can weaken the signal significantly.

//edit: ps. try monitoring the signal with some 3th party app (something like vistumbler). 3 bars out of 5 says nothing, what you want to know is the amount of attenuation (in dB). This usualy ranges from -20dB (extremely well) to -80dB (almost no connection)

Edited by wutske (see edit history)