xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jon182

Is Wow For Nerds?

so, i have heard from nearly everyone i know that only nerds and geeks play WOW. however i did see one of my cousins playing it and think it looks really cool. so what are everyones views? ups and downs is it for nerds?? and is their real life money to be made by selling wow money/items for real money?

so, i have heard from nearly everyone i know that only nerds and geeks play WOW. however i did see one of my cousins playing it and think it looks really cool. so what are everyones views? ups and downs is it for nerds?? and is their real life money to be made by selling wow money/items for real money?

WOW has i don't know over 8 million customers, i highly doubt that all of them are geeks and nerds. As a text mud developer i think that muds attract more geek types as many have a back ground in table top roleplay games like dungeons and dragons.

That's not to say that DnD players are inherently geek either. WOW is massively popular, the only way to be that popular is to appeal the the masses, and well geek culture is too small and fractured for them to have more than 8 million customers.

I do not play WOW, although i have tried it, i find that the gameplay of most 3d MMO's including WOW to be very shallow are not conducive to immersion within the environment and limiting in roleplay ability and take away from the imagination. Also games like WOW are heavily populated with gold bots and glitch cheats that further detract from a normal players enjoyment.

For anyone who would like to experience real RP and online play that is environmentally immersive, then muds are the go, Mudbytes is a mud community portal that caters to mud gamers and developers, there are games lists there as well as active community members who are more than happy to help anyone who might be looked for a game withing a specific genera.

You have to be stupid to play it. First you need to buy the game, next you need to pay a monthly fee to play it and last but not least, you have to spend hours and hours before it gets interesting (making you a geek :rolleyes: )

If you play it all day and live in it then yeh you'd be a geek. But if you play it 1 hour per day and dont get too annoyed when you loose then you're just a guy having fun. As for the money part, if your having fun then its worth it.

Replying to jon182Well, if you consider one of the most successful death metal band nerds, then yea. The lead singer of Cannibal Corpse plays it and blizzard even made an npc based on his character due to the popularity he has brought to the game