xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GuySpook

The Pope Has Died

news article:

VATICAN CITY - Pope John Paul II, who headed the Roman Catholic Church for 26 years, died on Saturday evening, the Vatican said in a statement. The news was immediately announced to around 60,000 gathered in St Peter's Square and was met with a long applause, an Italian sign of respect. Bells tolled and many people wept openly.
"Our Holy Father John Paul, 84, has returned to the house of the Father," Archbishop Leonardo Sandri told the crowds.
"The Holy Father died this evening at 9:37 p.m. in his private apartment. All the procedures outlined in the apostolic Constitution `Universi Dominici Gregis'  that was written by John Paul II on Feb. 22, 1996, have been put in motion."
Papal spokesman makes announcement
The announcement came from papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls and was distributed to journalists via e-mail.

ok everyone pray that the next pope does not die in our lifetime as when the next pope dies the devil will come and the earth will start all over again and god will have to save us.
GuySpook or pHaTmAt

Notice from serverph:
quotes added

Edited by serverph (see edit history)

Well I'm orthodox and I don't really belive that much in God, but I think a great man has died today. He has been the first Pope to visit an orthodox country (my country) and that means a lot for us. You'd think that the chuch doesn't have much power anymore but under his rule it was different... 70.000 gathered at Vatican. That must mean something.I only hope the next Pope will continue the good things he started...

Sure, every person who did many good things deserves some respect, and i respect the pope for what he did. I'm atheist btw. But, i don't really find that the pope should play such a major role where lots of his practises are based on religion. That's just my opinion. My grandpa died last year and he was born in 1914, he was older than the pope.

He lived a long time. I can only hope to live that long. Its quite the loss in the Polish and Catholic community. Im not either but I respected the man. May he Rest In Peace. Be kind to each other.

it is very sad, indeed. i really didn't know how spectacular of a man he was until some of the news coverage today. his life was very tough at the start, and he's really done a tremendous amount for peace. i think he kind of reached out to all people, not just catholics, which is very honerable. he's the only pope i've ever known - he began his popehood (is that what it is?) when i was born.

I think his death is sad, because he has done some really honourable things and although I can't compare him to an other pope, because I don't know an other, they are saying a lot of good things about him on TV. Something I totally don't understand is the reaction of the Polish people (I'm Polish too): "We won't approve a new pope." Why? Only because he is Polish and the other won't be?! The Italian people approved a Polish pope. This is nonsense for me.

That's why about 5 minutes before he died (still i didn't know that he died that morning) i felt something bad is going to happened. I am watching Jay Leno's show that time. He died 3:27 AM here in the Philippines.

anyone who does something kind deserves respect. and the pope shall receive it.....it's too bad that the thousands of people that die each year don't get the respect they deserve.. there are many that have done more and have gone unnoticed..

Well, I am not a religious person at all, but I really think that he did his job very well. I guess some liberal people might think the oposite, but at leats we should remember that he never rejected a meeting with some other spiritual and religious leaders all over the world, that makes him different from some other radical catholic people.

I also remember that he said once: The World should be open for Cuba and viceversa. He never really support neither terrorism nor the war against terrorism. I really think his best contribution to the humankind was the fact that he wasn't really a religious leader but a MORAL and SPIRITUAL one.

I can't say I will pray for him, but I hope he (if it's possible) is doing great now...

Rest In Peace, John Paul II

Well, personally I think he was more of a political leader than a religious teacher. Sure he taught values, but many people did not agree with what he said. And they were apart of the Roman Catholic relgion... I don't really understand how you can have a religion and elect a leader. Shouldn't it be revealed from god? Oh wait, they've never had revelation.

:) I believe in God, but in no religion, yet i did liked very much John Paul 2, spite our differences of opinion, in various matters suchs as the use of condoms, the right to legal abortion, etc, etc,He will rest in peace...