xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
quack

Yahoo - Why Bother?

Yahoo is already so far in the hole as it is, I don't see why it still exists. Obviously the search engine part is an added bonus, but it is quite obvious Google is the winner in the search engine category. I mean, come on, who doesn't like Google? Soon enough it's going to be making TVs, music players, and computers. It sounds a little ridiculous, but it could make most of the products we use every day. It's not Yahoo's fault or anything, Google is just REALLY dominant. I don't think anything will change that as of now. The G1 is something that convinced me Google is able to do anything. The only thing Google needs is its own phone company or service. Discuss what you think :rolleyes:P.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move this to Google if appropriate.

Yahoo is a big company for a long time, I doubt it could turn off all it's servers and just leave, it could of course be sold to some other company.. If you think the only income it got is search engine or yahoo messenger, email service and etc. then you're wrong, it gets lots of money from advertisement and etc. same as google and as you know Today, because of this stupid economical crisis we are having, google and yahoo are loosing a lot of money, their shares has dropped and etc. so it's tough for such a business Today..I wish to have some competition, rather than monopoly Google, competition is good, it's what makes things better. :rolleyes:

Who doesn't like Google? I have stated before, and will continue to do so, that Google is highly over rated. Actually if Google is around in ten years I would be willing to bet that they will be though of much the same way as Microsoft is currently by many people.

Yahoo is already so far in the hole as it is, I don't see why it still exists. Obviously the search engine part is an added bonus, but it is quite obvious Google is the winner in the search engine category. I mean, come on, who doesn't like Google? Soon enough it's going to be making TVs, music players, and computers. It sounds a little ridiculous, but it could make most of the products we use every day. It's not Yahoo's fault or anything, Google is just REALLY dominant. I don't think anything will change that as of now. The G1 is something that convinced me Google is able to do anything. The only thing Google needs is its own phone company or service. Discuss what you think :PP.S. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move this to Google if appropriate.

It still exist because of the fact that the only competition it had back in the day was Microsoft in terms of web presence and even today yahoo is there for the competition. Odds are they in a year or so someone is going to buy them out because of the current market crises yahoo is going to be sold cheap and odds are that whoever buys yahoo going to be turning off a lot of things that don't make profit. Besides I have been a loyal yahoo costumer for a better part of a decade now and will be with them till they either shut down or get bought out. My daily routine pretty much revolves around yahoo and sad to say I don't use google all that much except for email and a few web master applications and that is it.

Yahoo is a big company for a long time, I doubt it could turn off all it's servers and just leave, it could of course be sold to some other company.. If you think the only income it got is search engine or yahoo messenger, email service and etc. then you're wrong, it gets lots of money from advertisement and etc. same as google and as you know Today, because of this stupid economical crisis we are having, google and yahoo are loosing a lot of money, their shares has dropped and etc. so it's tough for such a business Today..
I wish to have some competition, rather than monopoly Google, competition is good, it's what makes things better. :rolleyes:

Well the big picture is that yahoo has a lot of customers both ISP and hosting wise and if they were to shut down their server a lot of people will be very unhappy including those who are hosted with yahoo. Besides Google maybe the top search engine in the US and maybe Parts of Europe but it has yet to make a huge dent in the world search engine market.

Who doesn't like Google? I have stated before, and will continue to do so, that Google is highly over rated. Actually if Google is around in ten years I would be willing to bet that they will be though of much the same way as Microsoft is currently by many people.

Well google has already got a decade under its cap and because of how powerful Google is I wouldn't be surprise if Monopoly lawsuits begin to start with them in the next 5 to 10 years.

I agree that it's over rated, I personally don't like the way how google search works, because of the page ranking system, I just got used to search with google, but most of the times it shows me websites, which really are stupid, especially the first ones in the search, sometimes yahoo shows better results, but using it is a pain, because when you do it, it seems you're using google 4 years ago. Even though, I think by using it you'll get what you need..

Most of google software sucks, because it's google it gets really cool, for example the only really good service of google is GMail, it's just a perfect email service, google search which isn't perfect, all the other are moderate services the ones they didn't bought, but the ones they created.

Google is not at all over-rated, but under-rated by some people. The power Google has to truly do anything it wants to is amazing. Unlike Microsoft, it could go into any field and sell anything it wishes to. Microsoft is strictly computer related products, where Google is just known as a search engine. For all we know, they could release a Google Pencil tomorrow and I guarantee it will sell just because of the Google logo on it.

same as Apple pencil? which would be expensive, but would work/write the same as an ordinary pencil for 1$? :rolleyes:I don't see the point of why it is under-rated? your example shows that it is over-rated, because it/google can create **** products and mark them as google and it will be a "Good" product, because google made it?

same as Apple pencil? which would be expensive, but would work/write the same as an ordinary pencil for 1$? :rolleyes:
I don't see the point of why it is under-rated? your example shows that it is over-rated, because it/google can create **** products and mark them as google and it will be a "Good" product, because google made it?

When who ever said over-rated in the first place, I thought the meant Google as a search engine and the company itself, meaning that you could use any search engine get the same results and it would be extremely similar, in that case Google is under-rated. Google as a company is not necessarily over rated as much as just plain popular. I agree if there was an Apple pencil it would be the same scenario. It depends how you look at it, and who are you talking to about the fact of the matter.

As long as it is still available and stays freeware, there will always be someone on the internet to use it.But there is a lot of competition still out there, and they will give Yahoo business... I still use Yahool Mail and I am still linked to my geocities... even though I really don't do too much with it. And I use the search engine if I am not getting what I need from Google.

As long as it is still available and stays freeware, there will always be someone on the internet to use it.
But there is a lot of competition still out there, and they will give Yahoo business...

I still use Yahool Mail and I am still linked to my geocities... even though I really don't do too much with it. And I use the search engine if I am not getting what I need from Google.

I have been switching back and forth between Gmail and Yahoo Mail, and I tend to like Gmail better. I have also noticed a lot of people find the same thing, as I am seeing more Gmail accounts lately. It's almost as if Google has superior software, which is probably true in a lot of aspects. Again, it depends on the user.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that Yahoo! is still turning a profit. From some of the posts it would seem that Yahoo! is in the red and will go out of business any day now but the reality is that Yahoo! has decent profits and dividends on their stock. The only reason that this is an issue is because Yahoo! is a publically traded company and investors want outrageous returns all of the time. If Yahoo! was still private this would never be an issues. With that said, I’m not sure how long Yahoo! will remain a separate entity. Investor pressures may move the Yahoo! board to sell the company.Personally I have made quite a hobby of following Yahoo! and in particular Yahoo! Messenger. I have thought for some time now that my hobby may be at an end because if Yahoo! gets sold then Messenger will surely be the loser in all of it. I have also noticed that Messenger is starting to lose market share. I feel that this is due to added restrictions on Yahoo! chat and the removal of user generated rooms. Chat and Messenger may seem like separate products but the only reason a lot of people had Messenger was because of the chat rooms which are now basically useless.

Yahoo used to be THE search engine probably back when I was in early high school (around the year 2000) before google came along and bumped them off. It's still doing pretty well although perhaps not as well as google. In recent years popularity of google and the brand name fame has surpassed yahoo.If you look at share prices (excluding the recent plunge) yahoo shares have sort of remained stable whilst google has skyrocketed.They also run different services (except the search engine of course). Google nowadays seem very consumer tool based providing a range of products (gmail, their new google docs, google chrome, their new phone OS etc) whilst yahoo is very much a paid services provider. In terms of revenue at the moment Google is definitely winning but obviously Yahoo is not in the RED. THey're not doing as well but they are still making a decent profit. I don't think they can outstrip google anymore but they can still maintain their share of the market if they try hard enough.

There is absolutely no reason to flame either Google or Yahoo! because they are 2 completely great non-evil search engines that need some serious competition, besides the weak Ask or Cuil (Live Search doesn't count, next please!).

Google needs competition, as every serious firm needs one. Without competition they could make a monopoly (which by default aren't good at all. see Microsoft). I still use Y! Mail regularly and I used it as my main mail 3 to 2 years ago (though GMail is the default one now) and my father still plays the Y! Games and has set up Yahoo.com as his home-page (even though he understands English very little).

I don't hate Yahoo even a bit! :mellow: