xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
laniczech

3d Virtual Os

I used virtual pc back when i ran win98 on my mac, virtual box recently because its free, but id like to have 3d for games and things, does any of the virtual pc emulators support 3d if not whats the best solution

No 3D games etc don't work through virtualization because the 3D is not done within the Operating System but by to direct calls to the 3D card. If you can configure your game / card to work in "software mode" you usually get to see the 3D but it's non-accelerated and not all programs have this option.

Doing this in a virtual pc is nearly impossible. You'll have better luck with wine or crossover (https://www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover-mac/).

But don't expect miracles, Need For Speed Undercover does works in Crossover Linux, but the speed is still low (despite low resolution and low settings) and there are some serious distortions visible. TrackMania Nations Forever on the other hand works flawless, but Far Cry 2 doesn't even want to start.

Notice the missing textures:

Posted Image

Some textures get screwed up:

Posted Image