xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rahid

Why Still Windows But Ubuntu Linux Why still Windows but Ubuntu Linux

For the new user of Ubuntu i would like inform you Ubuntu gives you a very usefull & easy interface than any other Linux distribution. And it's very easy to install application than other operating system. With Synaptic Package Manager anybody can install more application with a few click. And truly there is Thousand of application is available for free. As the PCWorld magazine from there November (it may be October) issue. Business users are switching to Ubuntu from Windows Vista. As it is not only cost effective but also it is secured & all type necessary Office Application loaded. Open Office Suite, Mozilla Thunderbird, Mozilla Fire Fox just everything that need. Also more & more application are waiting for them. So why wait & hangup with Windows.From the Ubuntu's announcement & some documents loaded with Ubuntu (found on Ubuntu's home folder) Baltimore Medical University, a airline company from France & there air planes, Libraries etc all are using Ubuntu. Because it's free cost effective for hardware, easy maintence, upgrade & there is plenty of site that gives you free help tutorial. So the numbers of international companies are increasing. By the way i heard but not sure that the giant Google Inc also use a modified version of Ubuntu.So why you are waiting. Open source & Linux is the future. And i believe Ubuntu is there flagship.

I have tried Ubuntu Linux and I find it to be very user-friendly. You need minimal Linux knowledge in order to use it. And it does come with OpenOffice.org as well as other things like Firefox and Evolution. I hope to see it become more popular over time.Other Linux distributions (mainly non-Debian-based ones) are not as user-friendly. You need more knowledge in order to maintain and use the system. This includes things like updating and fixing issues when there are some.

Ubuntu is truly for those who don't want to learn the full aspects of Linux. Other distributions like Fedora and OpenSUSE still provides "ease-of-use" but allow a more powerful machine for those who do want to discover what Linux really has to offer than a "Windows-alternative".As a long time Linux user, I can say Ubuntu has a good offering, but has still a long time to go if they want a larger install-base. Notably, they need to integrate a "Developer's Network" in order to foster better "3rd party" support. Which Ubuntu lacks when compared to Microsoft's offering. Obviously, people are going to say, well there are plenty of open source projects supporting Ubuntu and other Linuxes. However, here's the problem, most open source offerings don't cover what most basic computer user's need. Minimal learning curve for them to use your product and unfortunately, commercial software usually are the ones that pushes "ease-of-use" software.Until then, Linux will NOT replace Windows, but it will be a formidable adversary for the foreseen future.xboxrulz

Something that a lot of people do not know about is Andlinux, it is a port of the Linux kernel to run in a windows 32 bit environment. Andlinux installs into windows just like any other app, adds a small launcher application to the toolbar to start applications from. Andlinux is a Debian derivative much like Ubunto is, which means you can install apps with apt-get or synaptic. However what Andlinux does thats different is not use Kde or gnome as its desktop environment, it uses MS windows. I have developed code on linux for 8 years, at one time being a Mandrake/Mandriva user as well as Suse at different times, since finding Andlinux i have done away with a full blown Linux install and have used it exclusively from within Xp for the last year and a bit. If your like me and need to do most of your day to day work in Linux but have need for a few windows apps, (Games) Then Andlinux is the ticket.

Personally I feel that the only reason for the slow uptake of ubuntu is because of the very few applications available to actually install, and I think that there is a knowledge gap because most people don't really wantr to uncompile and all the rest of it.

I am a user of ubuntu and opensuse. and i fell happy of them. anyway, ubuntu is much more easier than openssuse, but opensuse gives you more powerfull feature.windows ? ultimately user firendly and large of 3rd party support but also ultimately high risk of security...