xisto Community
Animator

Quoted Posts ...who can get away with it?

Well I got into the habit of posting tutorials on Xisto first and then spread my wealth every where else and by that Xisto gets first dips, I get the credits and I can do as I please when I post it on other websites. However, that ha always been my problem with quoting materials and that is, how much is it really affecting SEO? If you quote the post I don't think search engines are going to index it except for the topic title. Of course, I never had a hosting account here because most of the time I am limited to where I can post because most topics on here are beating a dead horse.

OK, that's correct, and almost perfect.However, a topic posted at Xisto cannot be directly copy-pasted at Xisto

No no no, thats not what I meant at all. I was talking about the fact that many members have blogs and other websites that they post to regularly. Obviously anyone who posts the exact same content on both Xisto and Xisto, no matter what order, is just looking for trouble.

I agree, it's time (and it's up to each one of us) to open new topics on really new subjects.

I second that, it is quite boring here sometimes since not many people are really willing to post anymore. Even if they do post, it's not that interesting.

xboxrulz

As for an example, if I have an idea of a nice tutorial (let's say "how to earn a lot of money without wasting time an effort") I will first post the tutorial at Xisto.

Then I will wait until this tutorial is approved (made "visible" to anyone).

And then I will feel free displaying this text on my own Myspace or MSN personal page, saying "as I already said in my post here at Xisto....".

Owwwwchhh! :rolleyes:

As a technical person (my reason for choosing Xisto over Xisto) my interests are Open Source and GPL. When I publish something, whether as software or as a tutorial I like the spirit of my "product" to remain as "freedom" defined as RMS (Stallman) originally intended. That is; I made the work, it is mine, and I give Xisto permission to publish and/or redistribute it. Any "quoting" of my work is quoting... me.

What you're proposing is that I no longer own my own product, and have to include copyright references to this forum any time I cite my own words. This rule directly violates the "freedom" as defined by GPL style licenses.

GNU licensing was specifically designed to free people away from such bondage. No GPL supporter wants to add bumper sticker baggage to their work. The GNU cause is to get away from all that.

I agree, it's time (and it's up to each one of us) to open new topics on really new subjects.

As an aside, I made a tutorial here (on Xisto first) in one of my particular expert areas. The feedback which the tutorial got from Xisto was largely non existent, except for a Moderator who decided to poke holes in the work, saying I should make certain changes for sake of simplification which, as an expert in that field, I did not think were really required (he wanted me to go into increased beginner level basics for what was actually meant to be an advanced level tutorial). When I said that I did not think this was necessary, the response of the Moderator was basically that "everyone" in "the community" would agree with his stance. I later posted the tutorial in another forum (without the recommended changes). The result was much better received than on Xisto. I got thousands of reads and lots of people thanking me for the tutorial because it really clarified a certain technical area for them, was "very simple and easy to follow" etc.

...without the ability to be remain free to myself, there are good reasons why I would be reluctant to post my truely best work on Xisto. Perhaps these are reasons why Xisto feels it has suffered from a drop in quality overall?

P.S. I don't want to appear like a troll, disrespectful to Moderators etc; I could shut up about it and keep everyone happy, though the above is actually how I strongly feel about posting my own work.

As a technical person (my reason for choosing Xisto over Xisto) my interests are Open Source and GPL. When I publish something, whether as software or as a tutorial I like the spirit of my "product" to remain as "freedom" defined as RMS (Stallman) originally intended. That is; I made the work, it is mine, and I give Xisto permission to publish and/or redistribute it. Any "quoting" of my work is quoting... me.
What you're proposing is that I no longer own my own product, and have to include copyright references to this forum any time I cite my own words. This rule directly violates the "freedom" as defined by GPL style licenses.

GNU licensing was specifically designed to free people away from such bondage. No GPL supporter wants to add bumper sticker baggage to their work. The GNU cause is to get away from all that.

No! No ! No ! This is not the point.
If you did a program, you own the rights, Xisto has nothing to do with it.
I was talking about a pure text authoring.
If you write down a novel, for instance, you have to look for somewhere you want to publish it. The first guy who will publish the novel (or broadcast the TV show) will want to be the only one doing that. You accept his money when he buys your novel, or you go somewhere else.
If you publish your text at Xisto first, no problem.
If you already published your text somewhere else last month, it's an old text, it will not be accepted as a new tutorial here, it has to be shown as an "already published somewhere else" text.

...without the ability to be remain free to myself, there are good reasons why I would be reluctant to post my truely best work on Xisto. Perhaps these are reasons why Xisto feels it has suffered from a drop in quality overall?

You are the owner of your text, you remain free to write it down exactly as you want, as long as it respects the forum rules. And very few mods around here feel free to change something inside a topic, the usual exception is quoting copied text. However, mods are also human beings, the have the same rights as other people. If you make a text public in a forum like ours, people can say that they don't like something or that they don't understand something else.

If you did a program, you own the rights, Xisto has nothing to do with it.

I was talking about a pure text authoring.

I see no difference in my making a program, or my authoring a tutorial. Either of them are a "product" I have created and am presenting. Technically, literature (tutorials etc) is released under a GNU license correctly referred to as the "GNU Free Documentation License" where respect to author rights etc are applied same as the GNU software license. Refer to http://www.gnu.org/licenses/licenses.html. These licenses are not something Xisto needs to subscribe to... they are the choice of individual authors in terms of how they choose to copyright their own work.

In one sense, some would say I'm crying over nothing here, and should just let things glide. That's because "author rights" mean nothing to them, just like "copyright" itself seemingly means nothing to a lot of people. In my case, I am a financial supporter of the FSF (Free Software Foundation) which means I pay money to finance the legal fees (etc) involved in keeping the vision alive... so yes, I do take a definite stance on the matters.

What I'm scared of happening, and think I can see starting to here, is where Xisto starts assuming a rule where once an article has been volunteered for use on these forums, that there are conditions placed on the author; for example, where he/she must link back to Xisto any other time they present their idea. Legally this would imply that the original author is no longer the owner of their work.

Sure, it is good for an author to give kudos to Xisto by linking back "I originally released this on..." statements, but that should be a voluntary deed at his/her discretion; not a compulsory condition. Generally, a GNU release would contradict a compulsory bind. This is not the same as if I post to a forum where that forum has conditions of "must not have been prereleased"... one is a condition of acceptance (entry) whereas the other is a condition of ongoing ownership (copyright).

However, mods are also human beings, the have the same rights as other people. If you make a text public in a forum like ours, people can say that they don't like something or that they don't understand something else.

Absolutely. :rolleyes: In the case I had been referring to, I was actually quite happy with how the recommendations were raised and we even made a "half way" resolution of adding a simple "not for newbies" disclaimer. You mods do a great job of weeding out the tutorials from the amount of spam nonsense we've been seeing lately.

I too want to see a big increase in the quality of tutorials. Few are genuinely groundbreaking material, and many answers people are giving to questions show complete ignorance either to what has already been said by others, or for that matter, to what is the bleeding obvious. As a GPL author of technical works, I'd like to know whether I lose certain rights when posting on Xisto. That fear would make me want to consider my audience with discretion.