xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
phdex

How To Stop A Dog Barking?

Hello,We have a dog and I cant stand it barking all night.. I am afraid to disturb my neighbors.. Do you know any little tricks to help me to stop it from barking ? ** I fed him I do everything.. But it is still barking.. Thanx

First off is he barking because he wants attention or because there is something outside? If he is barking even if there is nothing outside he is barking for attention.You have probably without knowing trained your dog to bark when he is bored. When your dog is bored they'll bark for attention. Now what I'm guessing is you pet him or fed him when ever he barks. DON'T. He is learning that when he barks he gets attention and thats what he wants and why he barks at night. Now I'm not saying don't fed him but don't do it because he is barking.The best way to stop it is to stop it before it starts but it's to late for you but you can still fix this problem. Your dog needs to know that you are in charge. When he barks grab his upper and lower jaw gently but soildly. This will teach him who is in charge and will learn that when even he barks you do something he doesn't like. Note: Don't do this if your dog is likely to bite. If he does bite you need to contact a vet or some dog expert.If you do this for a couple months and it isn't getting better you may want to try a electric dog collar. It sounds mean but it might be the only way to teach him that your the boss and he need to stop barking.Hope this helps.

Edited by Running With Scissors (see edit history)

Well,

I have 2 dogs. Ripley is a greyhound mix. Mosley is a cattle dog and boxer mix. Mosley is a fairly quiet dog and mostly calm. He becomes less calm when there's meat in the place as I guess most dogs are. Anyway, Ripley used to be the kind of dog who would bark when the doorbell rings; someone walks down the street if front door open; if he heard an abrupt banging noise; etc.

The thing that I had read somewhere a long time ago was that you have to catch the pet in the moment to correct the situation. Obviously, there is no reason to tell your dog that what he did a few minutes ago was not okay. Their memories are not very long when it comes to something like that as they are random and not really measurable to the dog. Some people would argue that dogs are stupid animals, but I would tend to disagree. Think about the time you feed your dog. I feed my dogs their regular meal at about 7 or 8 pm nightly. When it's that time, they do not let me forget. They will whine and moan until I get the picture that it is feeding time.

But when it comes to things that they did wrong a few moments ago, they don't remember and actually get confused when you try to scold them at a later time. I believe this is where some owners get in trouble with animal abuse and making a dog scared of you. Mosley, when I got him, was a victim to some sort of abuse because it took a long time before he wouldn't get scared at any sudden movement.

Now, Ripley still does, at times, bark at sharp and abrupt noises. What I did was try to recreate some of those moments at various times in the day to be able to correct him on the spot. What I would do was tell him "NO!" when he would bark at a sharp sound like a thud on a piece of would like the leg of a chair. When pizza was ordered, he used to run to the door and act really crazy at the prospect of a visitor. I would always point at him and say "NO!" right when the bell rung. Eventually, he began to look for me to point at him and say "NO!" when the doorbell would ring. I think, in some ways, I may have traded one problem for another. I consider it a problem, to some degree, that he has to look at me because he really wants to bark and go crazy. On the other hand, I see it as a success that he knows he should not be barking at these things.

I will say that I don't generally say much to him if he barks at night from an outside sound because I don't want to take that away from him. I also don't want to lose the built-in home protection he offers.

I hope this helps you with your situation if you have not resolved it. Thank you so much for listening.

Growfinancially. ;)

Hello,
We have a dog and I cant stand it barking all night.. I am afraid to disturb my neighbors.. Do you know any little tricks to help me to stop it from barking ?

** I fed him I do everything.. But it is still barking..

Thanx

Hello,Thank you everyone who take his/her time to reply my question. I am very pleased to have the answers. I am working on it. I want to ask another question. Do you think shouting or hitting him a little will help or will not? Thank you all..

I usually distract my dog with something.Use can use things like1. Treats2. Mirrors3. Toys4. Lights of come sort There is that, or you can always make a face.But of course that only work with small dogs.

It is probably hungry or thirsty. If it's an indoor dog, maybe it wants to go outside, stretch, and poop. Is your dog a playful dog or a watchdog? Some dogs have instincts. Dogs also have their moments and need attention, that's the way they communicate. If your dog doesn't listen, is adolescent, or has a temper, then maybe you need to get it up to date on the shots. This will really help with the barking. There is also medication for dogs too. Good luck. I have a Labrador (how ever that is spelled, spell check recommended it). ;)

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

It is probably hungry or thirsty. If it's an indoor dog, maybe it wants to go outside, stretch, and poop. Is your dog a playful dog or a watchdog? Some dogs have instincts. Dogs also have their moments and need attention, that's the way they communicate. If your dog doesn't listen, is adolescent, or has a temper, then maybe you need to get it up to date on the shots. This will really help with the barking. There is also medication for dogs too. Good luck. I have a Labrador (how ever that is spelled, spell check recommended it). ;)

Well that is true. Dogs usually do bark when something is wrong, of course. It is best to get out of the house when your dog begins to bark and to you it seems uncontrollable.
But of course, your dog can also be simply hungry.