xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nunocordeiro

Software Kvm Use one mouse/keyboard to control several PCs

Hey guys. This is my first post on the forums.
Read around a bit and saw quite a few people interested on the multi-monitor setup so I'll post about an alternative.

The laptop + workstation model is getting very common amongst us technopiles. Still, I often found myself connecting my monitor and mouse to my latop for confort.
Well, recently I found out about a great little program called Synergy.

Synergy allows you to setup several computers to share the same input devices. You setup their relative positions and it works like a charm. Now I get home, I open my laptop nest do my desktop monitor and I use both computers at the same time.

So...
1. Go to http://symless.com/synergy/ and choose download.
2. Install on both computers.
3. Go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and CAREFULLY follow the instruction for your OS. This is straightforward stuff if you pay attention, but it's easy to mess things up if you're multitasking.
4. Enjoy =)

Hi, nunocordeiro,
You probably noticed that I moved your topic off the tutorial section. Maybe you did not notice the first rule for writing tutorials, as expressed here : http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/

1. The Tutorials have to be of a bare minimum length of 500 words to be accepted.

Now comes my question. Please tell us a little bit more. How does this solution compare to the other available solutions ? For instance I would like to know how it compares to Windows Terminal Server client, or to VNC.

Another thing to note is that the multiple monitor solution isn't always to simply have access to multiple pc's. Personally when I've used multiple monitors it has almost always been solely to increase screen real estate. Sure having access to various computers is great, and as mentioned by yordan is possible through other alternatives to your suggestion as well, but it doesn't help in sheer real estate. If I want to have code opened on one screen and be executing it or have helpful notes open on the other screen this isn't really a possible scenario using the one monitor two pc method.

Hi yordan,Yes, I can see your point. I should have delved a bit more into the use case part and explain it a little further.Furthermore, the topic I chose is incorrect since this isn't a KVM... it's just a KM (video isn't shared)....@Yordan and Jeigh, this has nothing to do with VNC since it does not share the same monitor. I made a bad choice of words on my initial post.The point of the application is that you can open your laptop next to your desktop monitor and use a single mouse and keyboard (usually attached to the desktop computer) to control both PCs (each one in its own monitor). That way you are both increasing your screen area and effectively dividing tasks between 2 different PCs. Both the examples Jeigh gave are great uses for this app.For example, I sometimes use it like this:One PC has open code and I'm messing around with Joomla, eclipse, and other tools. On the other PC I have documentation, a browser viewing the website I'm messing with and other general stuff. I can even copy/paste links and code from one computer to the other. Plus I can add a third computer if I'm configuring/debugging a PC for someone. Each PC will have its own monitor but all will be controlled by the same keyboard and mouse, and will share the same clipboard (only for text AFAIK).Sounds good? ;) Well, it gets better... you can have the PCs running different OSs. =)P.S. How can I edit a the topic? Is it possible?

Using a software program to share the keyboard, video and mouse, would require the main computer with all the components connected to be started in order to use the KVM function between all the computers.I suppose if you wanted to connect a laptop to an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, you could buy a port replicator (dock) for your laptop computer. I know this method is often used in business as it allows office staff to work comfortably with an external monitor and keyboard / mouse while they can take their laptop home so they can use it at home.