xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shotgun

Spybot Recommended Software Anti-spyware

This program can detect and remove a multitude of adware-spyware files and modules from your computer.

Spybot also can cleans your browser, which is especially useful if you share your computer. It's gives you the possibility to make full system scan, and delete directly files with problems.

For advanced users, it allows you to fix Registry problems related to adware and to malicious program installations.

It includes and update feature that ensures Spybot always has the most current and complete listings of adware and spyware.

Version 1.6 is last version

Homepage

greetings, shotgun.

You also forgot to mention that Spybot Search&Destroy protects your computer (immunizes) by blocking a lot of hosts that are malicious.

Heh, I hadn't actually noticed Spybot had updated to v1.6 fairly recently (8th July). Odd, considering when I ran Spybot just now it updated automatically, yet didn't do so any of the other times I'd ran it between when the update was out and now. Weird...:mellow:

Anywho, aside from that, I've never had any problems with Spybot S&D doing its job. It's also one of the few anti-spyware programs that my university allows (the others being McAffee Anti-Spyware and LavaSoft Ad-Aware) to qualify your computer for internet access. Saying that, there really aren't that many other decent anti-spyware programs out there, are there?

You can use it to remove ActiveX controls and browser plug-ins. It is a very good troubleshooting tool. I use Firefox, IE, and opera. SpyBot S&D 1.6 offers protection for them. I'm not sure about the other browsers but it is an all-around free online protection. Though not a full solution it works well with AVG Free 8.0, Spyblaster, and other firewalls.

Yup, the software is quite impressive considering it's free. Missed the update as well. I usually use it when my friends have their computers ridden with parasites, and so far it couldn't eliminate only one pest which no other programme could (a certain procedure had to be employed). Apart from the capabilities described above, it can also install a resident monitor which will scan for possibly malicious registry or system-internals actions. Highly recommended!