xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

Yahoo! Messenger Power User

I just received a very weird message when I logged into Messenger today. It said “Congratulations, you are a Power User!” The pop-up was in its separate window similar to the annoying Insider and had a Learn More, Choose Your Icon, and No Thanks button (the Learn More button didn’t work). After doing a quick Google search (https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account) (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) I found that this thing does really exist and wasn’t some ad pop-up that somehow got past my defenses. Here are a few of the “benefits”:• A special online icon• A Power Users Yahoo! Group• Better live customer support

This is the first time that I have heard of such a thing and I will have to investigate the possibilities. I am assuming that the non-standard icons and the pop-up box are built into Messenger 9. If they are not then it opens up new possibilities for code execution and at the very least I will have to see how this changes the YMSG protocol. I would like your input to see if this has been around for awhile and if anyone else has additional information.

I go on Yahoo Messenger every day and im not totally version which one i am currently on but im pretty sure its the latest one.This is also the first time that i have ever heard of a Power User. Maybe its something special and its your lucky day? :mellow:

Yea, I have the new yahoo messenger and I had the same pop up. I took the offer and nothing really happened. You just have this little crown appear next to your name when you sign on. That's about it. All your friends basically know that you go on yahoo messenger a lot when it's on there. Three of my friends have the icon on their name too. It's nothing to worry about..-reply by Amanda

i got one tooYahoo! Messenger Power User

Replying to tansqrxYa, I got that notification too.I do use YM a lot, but I don't think I spent that MUCH of time to be a power user. And I do get a little crown icon after my name, now anyone use ym9 can see I'm power user. Aside of the icon, nothing change though.

-reply by irma