xisto Community
cragllo

Check Your Scripts

As I am reading through some of the (Mostly PHP) scripts posted here, the following posts are that of people saying that the script does not work.I suggest that you should test and make sure that your script works BEFORE you post it here.Craig.

As I am reading through some of the (Mostly PHP) scripts posted here, the following posts are that of people saying that the script does not work.
I suggest that you should test and make sure that your script works BEFORE you post it here.

Craig.

as start ok i will test all my scripts thanks but i would like to say that

not every script can work on every host some scripts recowre so addedons the web host dosnot have

so you cant mak sure that my script will work with you

and i cant mak sure that your script will work with me

but if any eroor shold hapins you can ask and users should tray to fix this eroor

it is also usfull to include some information like link to phpinfo and so

as start ok i will test all my scripts thanks but i would like to say that
not every script can work on every host some scripts recowre so addedons the web host dosnot have

so you cant mak sure that my script will work with you

and i cant mak sure that your script will work with me

but if any eroor shold hapins you can ask and users should tray to fix this eroor

it is also usfull to include some information like link to phpinfo and so

I agree.
Probably there is no need to write a script for a different machine the way you write one for your own.
The user should be familiar with the language, and escape any well known errors, like syntactical errors or missing variable.
There is no need for useless posts like "Hey i cut - paste your script and it didn't work, I'll never use your scipts again!".
Edited by SofiaComp (see edit history)

Well anyway if they don't work, then whats the point of screaming and crying out that they don't work?Why can't they just go through the sourcecode and find the errors themselves, and help the community (and the topic maker) by pointing out by saying "Oh $var should have been $var2 on line 53" like so.Its what i do, and many people give me credit for it :D

Hi!In most cases, if you want to do something that has already been done before, you can get it off an open-source project rather than use a script that has been posted online because most well-established open-source projects have a pretty stringent quality control process - the code goes through a code review, a testing cycle, and any bugs reported are promptly fixed if they are of high enough severity.I borrowed some code from a WordPress plugin to put together a web-based slideshow and it worked perfectly well. The source code documentation helped configure the various parameters that the plugin had to customize its appearance and I simply replaced the WordPress-specific code to what was needed for it to run on my application (it's more of a one-off script than a real application).Some folks out there write PHP scripts and post to forums on the first error that they find and, quite honestly, I think the questions belong in a chatroom or IRC channel rather than a forum. Or better yet, commercial support (perhaps through a subscription or free support with a product purchase) can be availed for a pretty reasonable fee.I find viruses or malicious code in open-source projects very unlikely, primarily because there are so many eyes observing the code and raising the red flag whenever anything of concern pops up. The open-source software development process rivals some of the best software development processes and a lot of work has been put into understanding it and applying the concepts to an organizational setting.I have always had my source code tested on my computer to ensure that the basic functionality works, but performing a comprehensive test to make sure that just about everything in the software works perfectly requires setting up automated testing tools and may even require me to charge for the software produced as a result, to pass on licensing costs and for hiring support staff. Many open-source projects have commercial 'branches' that undertake the responsibility for support and bug fixes, which is how open-source organizations stay competitive with the down-turn of the economy.There are software firms that are entirely dedicated to providing quality control tests and offer the works - automated testing, manual tests, web application testing, performance and load testing, and soak testing. PHP scripts are often run within a sandbox environment on servers, with the account that Apache uses having strict permissions to access on the web root directory (often, /var/www) and with frequent file and database backups, the effect of any malware within a PHP script can be minimized. Besides, any malware in a PHP script can be easily detected as most PHP code is distributed in an un-compiled form. Finding compiled PHP scripts is quite rare and is limited to certain esoteric groups, such as those who use Phalanger or HipHop for executing their code.Interestingly enough, you can also develop graphical and command-line applications with PHP, though most people tend to associate PHP with web based applications. The PHP-GTK library makes graphical development possible. Command-line scripts are pretty much the same as web development scripts except that they are invoked from the command line and they accept user input differently. The lack of compilation to source code helps users read the source code before they execute it ensuring that malware does not find its way into their computers.