xisto Community
Miles

Text Outline In Gimp

Hello,When I first started using GIMP, it took me a while to figure it out, and I made a few mistakes. Well, here's a tutorial so others won't! Although, you will need some VERY basic knowledge of the gimp, ie placing text and choosing a colour. Anyway;1) Create a new image. Any size is ok.2) Put in some text of your choice. Now, select the text, and using the text tool, click the button marked "Path from Text".3) Now, make a new transparent layer.4) Selecting the new transparent layer, make sure it is below the text layer, and then use the select menu's from path option.5) Select menu -> click the grow option, and enter in a number of pixels.6) Fill the selection with the colour of your choice.And voila! You have a text outline!

Remember our forum rules as expressed here http://forums.xisto.com/topic/6-forum/ :

The Tutorials have to be of a bare minimum length of 500 words to be accepted.

Your topic is interesting and useful, but it's far below this 500 words thereshold.Please, next time, make an effort and write down more didactical texts instead of writing short notice.
I will simply refuse your next tutorials if they keep being so short.
Regards
yordan

YAY this was incredibly helpful! I always get lost in very tech-talk tutorials but this one I actually understood! Immeasurably useful, thank you :D 

-reply by aimsleydale

Awesome tutorial on Gimp Text OutlineText Outline In Gimp

This was exactly what I was looking for and what I needed. I suppose you could have made it more wordy just for the sake of doing so or could have written an article below it to talk about why it is helpful to appease Xisto but wow this was so awesome and simple. Thank you so much!

ConvolutedText Outline In Gimp

The tutorial's clearly written by someone who's a little confused by the whole process.

Either convert the text to a path(right click on the text layer in the layers dialogue and choose Text to Path), add new layer and then Edit > Stroke Path _OR_ Alpha or Text to selection, grow selection, create new layer, Edit > Fill with FG. 

Your tutorial seems to go halfway and then do something that renders the path creation step completely pointless.

GIMP; Text OutlineText Outline In Gimp

Thanks a lot for this!I'd looked around at many other tutorials, but this one was definitely the most easy to follow... And it worked. ^^ Thanks again.

-reply by SAGA,