xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
RWM2

Help With Making A Textbased Game im new to text based games

I'm new to text based games and i want to learn how to make them can someone teach me the basics or the starting of a text based game

I'm assuming you want to make a web-based text-based game that you can play in a browser from anywhere, right? Correct us if I'm wrong about this.

First of all, you will need HTML knowledge to start building pages. This is very easy to learn, check out books at your local library or go to http://www.w3schools.com/html/.

If you know HTML, you should also know CSS to style your pages (otherwise it will be pretty blank with the default font, size, colour, etc)! CSS is also very easy to learn and apply, it doesn't have to get complicated, but you can if you wish :P

Now for the actual programming part. I strongly recommend you coding the game in PHP (Hypertext Preprocessor). PHP is a server-side scripting language that allows you to generate dynamic content (e.g. for each player) and it can work with a MySQL database to record information. You can learn from the official PHP site and/or the tutorials at W3Schools. If you do not wish to use PHP and MySQL for some reason, there is also ASP (Active Server Pages, a Microsoft technology) and JSP (Java Server Pages, developed by Sun/Java). I have no knowledge of either one of them.

Remember, coding a text-based game can take months or years if you are unexperienced. Aside from the creativity portion of the project, you need to do extensive testing as with any other programming/development/design projects.

Good luck! :)