xisto Community
Mordent

Email Problems Unable to Send or Receive

Ever since the server move (migration, relocation, whatever you want to call it) I've had a problem with both sending and receiving emails. I use Microsoft Outlook Express as my email application, and originally hadn't changed any of my email settings (figuring that there wouldn't be any difference between the two). I'm unsure of exactly when the problem started, as I get no errors or messages indicating that it was failing to receive messages (getting the normal "connecting, authorizing, checking mail" series of stages in the process). It was only when I first went to send a message that I noticed the issue, as I got an error that says:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e-mail address was 'XXX@XXX.XXX'. Subject 'XXX', Account: 'XXX', Server: 'mail.XXX.XXX', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 Temporary local problem - please try later', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

where all of the XXXs are the relevant pieces of information. Figuring it to be a "temporary local problem" I initially shrugged and left it for a little while. I tried again about 6 hours later, and again just now (around 24 hours later), so either it's less temporary than it says or something else is wrong.

Wondering whether it was to do with the actual email address I sent it to, I sent an email to my hotmail account (which I know to be functioning fine) only to receive the same error. I then reversed the process, sending an email from my hotmail account to my one hosted at Xisto. During the "connecting, authorizing, checking mail" stages I received no indication that a mail had been sent.

This leads me to believe that the problem is due to some option changing with the new server. Has anyone else had similar problems? If so, how did you get around it? If not, what could possibly be wrong my end and have you any suggestions as to how to fix it? Naturally I've tried using the automatic configuration given in cPanel to automatically change any settings that needed doing, but nothing different seems to happen.

I should probably also point out that when directly accessing the webmail (via cPanel) there was also no indication of having received anything from my hotmail account. I'll see soon enough if the mail bounces, but as of the time of writing this it seems to have sent fine. It does make me wonder a little, as I never had any problems prior to the move...

Thanks in advance,

Mordent

I don't access my email from any other PC, so I couldn't say. I suppose I could try connecting up another computer to the internet to try that out, but is there an easier way or working out if it really is a DNS problem? Similarly, is there a way of fixing it if it is?

I've had the same problems after the switch as well. Although, I thought it was an error associated with my account only and switched to using Google Apps accounts along with SMTP access.

Seems not to be the case. Just to make a little more sense of that last sentence of yours, you're saying you switched email accounts to "bypass" the problem? Seems like a poor workaround, if that's the case. Still, I'm raising a support ticket so here's to hoping it gets resolved sometime soon. It's my primary secondary (as in, "first non-personal", if that makes sense :P) email address, as well as a couple others that I use fairly regularly, so it's quite important it gets resolved. :(
Any suggestions from anyone else while I wait for the support lot to get back to me are, naturally, welcome.

Mordent

Just a quick update for anyone who gets a similar problem: I'm assuming the fault was at the server's end, as after the support team looked at the problem they fixed it (after I provided them with the domains I had trouble with, the email accounts that weren't working, and the passwords so they could check they did work). Just to note, the department that the ticket got redirected to was "CH Support", so I guess using that one first would help get the issue solved quicker.Anyway, after the tech monkeys did their thing it all works absolutely fine now. :)