xisto Community
Gunner1405241558

Cannot Share From Xp To Win2003

I use 2 pc's, and have different OS that's XP and win2003. At first installation, I try sharing file from XP to win2003, or win2003 to XP and all seem right without problem. At some time, I change my IP address to connect to internet, and then I don't know what happen, I can't share file from XP to win2003. But share from win2003 to XP has no problem. :( Can someone resolve my problem? I need it.. thx's...

Hi,
You first posted this topic in the forum "How-To's and Tutorials > Networking ".
However, this topic is not a tutorial. A tutorial is a text teaching how to perform something.
Your topic is a call for help, so it's initial location is false. That's why I moved it here.
Now comes my answer.
Yes, Microsoft hates when computers change IP addresses, each computer remembers the old adresses and cannot reach the computers with new addresse.
My workaround is the following :
You master the IP addresses. So, simply use the IP addresses when sharing folders.
For instance, go on the XP system, open a "cmd" command line prompt, and type the following :

net use * \\192.168.XXX.YYYY\myfolder
This should work from any PC.
Please tell us if this worked.
Regards
Yordan

Hi,You first posted this topic in the forum "How-To's and Tutorials > Networking ".
However, this topic is not a tutorial. A tutorial is a text teaching how to perform something.
Your topic is a call for help, so it's initial location is false. That's why I moved it here.
Now comes my answer.
Yes, Microsoft hates when computers change IP addresses, each computer remembers the old adresses and cannot reach the computers with new addresse.
My workaround is the following :
You master the IP addresses. So, simply use the IP addresses when sharing folders.
For instance, go on the XP system, open a "cmd" command line prompt, and type the following :

net use * \\192.168.XXX.YYYY\myfolder
This should work from any PC.
Please tell us if this worked.
Regards
Yordan

Remembers each computer ?
Sorry I haven't hear about that !
Mod, could you please explain it a bit ?

Thanks,

Eric,

Mod, could you please explain it a bit ?

When I talk about the present subject, I am acting as a standard TCP/IP systems users, I am not acting as a mod here.As far as I know, when you boot your PC, the DNS gives an IP address. If your PC has a unique name and has some shared resources, all other Microsoft systems on the same network know it's IP address and the associated shared resources. So, if a user types "net view" the user sees all available resources on the network and the associated machine name.
If you manually change the PC IP address, the other PC's don't know the new IP, instad you ask Microsoft to propagate the new address.

Are you running Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional. M$ says there are more security options in XP Pro. Maybe it is that. What you could try out is make sure the 'Use Simple file sharing (recommended)' is off. That would be found in your Folder Options page under View [in Explorer, File Menu - Tools - Folder Options... - Check the View Tab, scroll to the bottom, uncheck 'Simple...']Another thing, make sure you didn't disable any services that are dependent on file sharing.Is your Win2003 setup as a domain. If so, add computer to domain, add user, create user account, add share, add user permissions.Don't get me wrong software wise the only thing that could mess you up is if you disable something on purpose. There are some reg hacks which limit the security, but if you don't know them (they have to be set manually); then they might not apply to your situation.Other than that, maybe it is your physical connection. Check your NIC(s), cables, switches, and everything else in between.Good luck. :)

Check your NIC(s), cables, switches, and everything else in between

And, after finished checking, try the "ping" command in order to verify that all TCP/IP layers work correctly. Open a windows command line window an type "ping remote", wher "remote" is the name of the other computer.If "remote" does not work, try pinging directly the IP address.