xisto Community
ScriptMan1405241558

Best Free Forum Software What is it?

Never really worked with SMF..So far i tried out Invision Free and phpbb. I'd say invision is the easiest to administrate i've ever seen, tho i don't think you can use it in your own domain, that's why i recently started working with phpbb.phpbb it's not bad at all.. Could have some more tools in the admin panel.. but i think it's pretty easy to run too :(

I believe that SMF is the best free forum software availible, as it is highly popular, which means many modifications are created, all of which are useful. phpBB is good too though. It's fully open source and free, and has a lot of mods, too. Though some people are concerned with the security of 2.0 based versions, the 3.0 series are very good.

Well for a while i used phpbb3 but now I have seen the light, aef is a much better forum software in my opinion, sad thing is that it is not yet part of the fantistico auto installer, It has better moderation features, of course if your willing to pay the best forum is I.P. board but it is expensive.

Never really worked with SMF..
So far i tried out Invision Free and phpbb. I'd say invision is the easiest to administrate i've ever seen, tho i don't think you can use it in your own domain, that's why i recently started working with phpbb.

phpbb it's not bad at all.. Could have some more tools in the admin panel.. but i think it's pretty easy to run too :(

Yeah, I really love Invision (2.* and 3.* are especially good, but not free). The features, flexibility, and just shear size of what's available both in the ACP and on different modification sites is just aweseome.

phpBB is also really good and is my pick for a completely free forum system. The newest version (3.*) is not too bad, it seemed like they wanted to add alot of great features that just never got in when it was in the earlier stages of development though. I'm a huge advocate of modifying just about any forum system however, phpBB 3 just doesn't have alot of stuff readily available so unless you're willing to and able to develop some modifications on your own it can be a little less than easy to get features you want. :P

when I first started I was using phpBB2, and now I upgraded to phpBB3 and I must say phpBB3 is very good.

What I love about phpBB, is how you can just customize the hell out of it, vBulletin, IPB... you can also do the same, but with phpBB (at least to me) the sky is the limit... plus its free.
If you haven't got much time, and want to see what the new phpbb3 can offer, just try it out on this host : free forum hosting

If you are looking for great freeware reviews, try http://www.pcworld.com/ , or read the magazine, it gives great reviews on all kinds of software, and top 10 lists of almost all essential computer software tools. Everything from flash media players, sound/image/video editing software, to anti-viruses. They have reviews of paid as well as free software (usually separate). A great utility, go check it out.

i like icy phoenix it's base on phpbb but it been coded with more features i really love it other forums i don't really like i just like use it then add my own scripts and crap.

thanks , looks really nice,
i've only used SMF (it's easy to use, clean, and looks ok even with the default theme).. didn't really like PhpBB .. but for this I'l give it a try :mellow:

SMF and phpBB are the 2 main options in my books.I would probably say SMF has the slight edge although both are great forums.Invision free is really easy to configure and use but you can't host it on your own site which is a shame.

thanks , looks really nice,i've only used SMF (it's easy to use, clean, and looks ok even with the default theme).. didn't really like PhpBB .. but for this I'l give it a try :mellow:

SMF is the best ive used. The interface is easy on the eyes and control panel is one of the best