xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
superJazz

Vista: Work In Progress?

Steve Ballmer has admitted that Vista is "a work in progress", and admitted the company has to learn lessons from its release. Speaking at the Most Valuable Professional Global Summit in Seattle, Ballmer resisted calls for a slimmed down Windows 7: "Vista is bigger than XP and it's gonna stay bigger than XP. We have to make sure it doesn't get bigger still."

However, Ballmer went on to admit that it had taken too long to get Vista out the door and admitted it had caused problems: "Vista is a very important piece of work, and I think we did a lot of things right, and I think we have a lot of things we need to learn from.

"Certainly, you never want to let five years go between releases... because it turns out many things become problematic when you have those long release cycles. The design point, what you should be targeting, we can never let that happen again. We had some things that we can't just set the dial back that I think people wish we could."

Ballmer also struck a conciliatory tone over Windows XP, which the company recently announced would still be available on low cost laptops such as the Eee PC: "We have a lot of customers using Vista, and we have a lot of customers that are choosing to stay with Windows XP, and as long as those are both important options, we will be sensitive, and we will listen, and we will hear that."

Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, navigate to the Ballemer describes Vista...

A bit sad really, that, considering Vista is 5 years in production, that it 'wasn't the finished product'. Also, i believe that they cannot charge ÂŁ200 for a piece of software that isn't ready.

The disappointment is probably mainly due to the fact that many features and ideas that were once announced have found their way to the little recycle bin that is found on most desktops :( . I do not believe he sees Vista as an unfinished product, it would be absolutely stupid to say something like that, it's more likely that he thinks Vista doesn't have all the features it should be and that they are still working on getting the features in Vista.As a matter in fact, every program is a work in progress, if you build and release an application then you very likely keep working on the application to maintain, fix and further improve it.

I think Microsoft is the only company in the world that is forced to keep their older version of their product due to pressures of the market. It is both sad, I think and a rare exception of basic marketing laws, which state that a new product will make the old product outdated and deprecated.xboxrulz

No operating system is perfect, so that is why Windows Vista is a "work in progress". I think if the intended features of Windows Vista were to be included, the operating system would have become even more bloated. Personally, I feel that Microsoft should give up trying to improve Windows Vista (a waste of time really, because the core of Windows Vista is a mess already), and concentrate on creating the new Windows 7 that will live up to expectations of its users.