xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

It Still Looks Like Microsoft Messenger May Still Happen

Over the past week the talks of Microsoft buying Yahoo! has not diminished. Recently Slahsdot (https://tech.slashdot.org/story/08/04/07/236215/yahoo-rejects-microsofts-offer-says-still-an-option) published a note that points to both a Microsoft press release (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) and the Yahoo! reply (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). The bottom line is that Yahoo! hasn’t said no, they just want more money. In my mind the simple fact that Microsoft has not backed down after the initial offer means they will see this one through. Historically Microsoft has been like a shark. They swim up and take a small bite to see if they are interested. If it turns out to be a Styrofoam surfboard then they turn around and swim the other way. On the other hand, once they have committed to make the kill they see it all the way to the end even if it ends up hurting them or it doesn’t make the best business sense at the end of the deal. If I had to make a Vegas bet I would say that the odds are 2 to 1 that Microsoft will buy Yahoo!The part that really seals the deal is that Microsoft says they are going to attempt a hostile take over (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/). This means that Microsoft is going directly to the share holders and offering them money to over through the current board of directors. This mean that I am looking forward not to the latest version of Yahoo! Messenger but the latest version of Microsoft Messenger.

Microsoft Messenger does exist, that's the name for Windows Live Messenger on Macs... lol. I do not back Microsoft's move to buyout Yahoo! at all. I believe that it will limit the competition and cause a larger monopolistic approach to the search engine market. It will allow Microsoft in control of all the email addresses provided by the 2 largest Canadian ISP, which proves to be a headache. I avoid Microsoft all this time about everything except XBOX. I do not want to use a crappier email service with a 25GB cap. I like my unmetered usage. Good thing I have my website's email addresses handled by Google and not Microsoft (or what will become part of Microsoft).xboxrulz

I have to agree with you on this one. Even though I have gripes with Yahoo! and some of their practices, it is clear that Yahoo! has a much better community atmosphere than Microsoft. If Microsoft buys Yahoo! then all of the free spirit nature of the communities will be crushed. Even though Yahoo! Messenger beats MSN Messenger in the number of users 3 to 1, it will be killed of to make room for MSN. Microsoft is good at making software but they have a terrible track record in making communities (mainstream, I think MSDN is an exception). Microsoft will squeeze out all of the few good things Yahoo! is doing and leave it for the vultures. Microsoft should back down from this one but they will not.

I wouldn't say that Microsoft is great at making software. Look at Windows Vista and what a mess it has become. Microsoft is a mess when it comes to a community. Actually XBOX Live is not bad at all, it actually beats the crap out of communities like Wii Connect 24/7 and Playstation Network. However, it's not as integrated and favoured like Steam or GameSpy.xboxrulz

I guess Yahoo is not willing to give up. The Yahoo share holders might think otherwise though. When I use to do IT, I was one of the yahoo users who were waiting for Yahoo corporate edition. I was looking for a customized solution to like up +60 classrooms, +7 sub offices, with one main office. I was looking to setup chatting, white board, a portal, with push and pull plug-in installation. Hmm with Yahoo and their affiliates technology in hands of Microsoft, who know what new projects will be funded or may never even see the light of day. If anything, It will probably be released as some add-in for taking the rest or enhancing existing Microsoft applications.I guess this would be something like Adobe buying Macromedia. So what about all the user contributed content all of the faithful Yahoo users have submitted over the last decade? The copyrights for prime content will probably be sold/transfered to Microsoft. Either way, they just stuff all the fine print a clickable dialog box before you update your messenger or login to your Yahoo account.Well either way I think a eventually a newer form of Yahoo will come out. Then again Microsoft is always looking for companies to buyout. But yeah, just imagine what Microsoft will do you your yahoo id's/accounts. They'll eventually cross reference them to their Hotmail/Windows/Live/Zune/etc ID(s), and what does that mean to them more accurate identity information on your online habits. :(Well I hope many Yahoo users protest about the sale of Yahoo to Microsoft. If not, just cancel your services and look to another provider for your online needs. Best of Luck. :|

It is a shame that Microsoft are trying to buyout Yahoo, i do accept, but surely it has to be for the greater good if the two were joined together? For example, maybe the community feel of Yahoo may set the OS apart from Apple's creation if you could, say, post your computer problems on Yahoo! Answers?Please note that is Live Messenger, not Microsoft Messenger.

Since Flickr is under Yahoo!, doesn't that mean Microsoft will now own it. And to think people who've been posting to it. Can you imagine going to an office store walking around the software aisle and noticing a Flickr box on the shelves with the Microsoft products,or say you're at the check out counter in a grocery store and you see a Flikr subscription card with all the online music/gift cards. And to the people who've been contributing, I guess Microsoft will scheme up a clever way to use your photos for marketing and such. Microsoft will inherit photo rights.I wonder if there will be a new Flickr photo community if this happens. Only time will tell. :(

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

Yes this would mean that Microsoft would own Flickr and every other Yahoo! commodity. This is not to say that you will be seeing Microsoft branded Flickr products on the shelf of you local store. Many times when these deals go through the bought company remains a separate and distinct entity. I have seen several examples where the buyer just wants to diversify and buys into a different market segment or in Microsoft’s case strengthen its market share in search and advertising.If I had to make a guess as to what would happen to Yahoo! if Microsoft bought them, Yahoo! would remain fairly separate for about three to five years. There would be strong cross company promotions but from a logical standpoint they would still be separate with Yahoo! still maintaining a fair amount of say in their business. After that time things will start to get consolidated and that’s when some of the peripheral areas will get cut. I would like to say that the best and most popular service will win but when you have Hotmail verses Yahoo! Mail, you never know. I have a feeling that the native Microsoft branded products will win and eventually Yahoo! will be absorbed.So the question is not if there will be a Microsoft Flickr but will there be a Flickr at all?

No kidding. I'm just starting to use the Yahoo Widgets. They are pretty cool in terms of graphics and features. I like that you don't have to have Windows Vista to use them. You really don't need and Microsoft technology that costs money. I guess if Microsoft buys Yahoo! they could absorb the Widgets too. Interesting.