xisto Community
Miles

A Possible Websense Bypass

Hello,At my school Websense is used, and blocks any sites that haven't been pre-approved, however, I seem to have found a bypass. By entering ?something=something or anything like that to the end of an url, it seems to fool websense. I suggest you all try it, if it works, please tell me.

More specific

Could you be more specific, like putting an example of a page that is blocked by websence like youtube or something, I think that would work better to dim-witted people like me instead of "something-something"

-reply by Some one

UPDATE:I've been checking more, this only works on websites in the "Uncategorized" category, which is all websites that haven't been pre-approved. I still need some more people to test this though, as I've not verified it yet.

I attend a technical college that uses Websense, and there's a definite way around it, but I haven't quite gotten to it yet. I'm trying to find a way to bypass the network's DNS servers and use an external DNS instead, such as the ISP's primary DNS for standard users. If you can do this, Websense doesn't exist. I haven't tried it yet, but me and a friend have a vendetta against Websense so I should have something going within the next week or two. I might post my findings. Toodles.

More specific

Could you be more specific, like putting an example of a page that is blocked by websence like youtube or something, I think that would work better to dim-witted people like me instead of "something-something"

-reply by Some one

He literally means adding ?something=something to the URL Thus youtube would be http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

As to the topic itself, yes, there are ways to bypass just about anything. However for anything that can be bypassed there ways of stopping by passes and ways of detecting when thing are bypassed. Of course there are ways around the other ways and so on. It can be an endless battle.

To the point though: there is a reason network admins put up these sort of blocks. Is you tube really so important that it HAS to be viewed from school? Really I am curious about this.