xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Unintrusively Streaming Pdf Documents Into A Web Page

I am looking for a way to unintrusively stream PDF documents into a web page (without the Acrobat Reader plug-in or what have you, kicking in).Kind of like YouTube streams an FLV video into a page.What I have found so far are things like iPaper ( https://www.scribd.com/user/5485746/ipaper) but on closer examination it looks like this one is streaming SCB documents (in this particular instance the document at documents.scribd.com/docs/2ilx1b8u571leozv8qrd.scb) - but it begs the question what the heck is a .SCB document anyway (I tried pulling it down to my hard drive and renaming it to .PDF to see if I could open it that way, to no avail).Any ideas?

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Have a look at http://www.swftools.org/, they have a application called pdf2swf that allows you to convert your pdf documents into a flash document. This will load the pdf documents into and web browser, without loading the Acrobat Plug-In loading, provided that the end user has Flash installed (which is pretty common these days!)

Hopefully this is what you were after,
-jimmy

EDIT: Also, you could try Macromedia FlashPaper, from what I can remember, you can change almost any printable document into a .swf file to do what you want with, in your case, imbed on a webpage.

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

You could also transform the PDF file into several images or completely into HTML, provided that the PDF files aren't too huge to do that. You can also try loading the file into a word processor and saving it as a DOC or ODT file, but I'm not sure if it can work this way.