xisto Community
TavoxPeru

How To Host An External Subdomain?

First of all i don't if it is the correct place to this post so if not please an Admin or Mod move it to the correct place, thanks.Now, the situation that i have is that i want to host an external subdomain like external-subdomain.external-domain.com on my own account hosted here at Xisto, so, if any user access this external subdomain all the files and database tables are served from here. The purpose of this external subdomain will be to host a phpBB3 forum.I also have cPanel access in this external domain so i can create the external subdomain there if necesary, but i don't know how to redirect it to access to my Xisto acount.is it valid to do this????Best regards,

Say your external sub-domain is abc.xyz.com. This domain actually maps to some sub-domain on your Xisto account like tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/. Any URL such as abc.xyz.com/posting.php will be actually tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/posting.php

The thing that you need in this case is an external re-direct, if I am not mistaken. I came across one such discussion at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

However, I couldn't put into work. You should give it a try.

Another thing that could be done is that a PHP page in your external domain could forward the HTTP requests to the actual pages. Using .htaccess file any URLs for the site, such as abc.xyz.com/posting.php could be redirected to abc.xyz.com/index.php. This page would open a connection and get the actual contents from the url, say, tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/posting.php and display the results to the browser. This should only be done as the last resort as the bandwidth usage becomes double and you'll also have to handle cookies.

Say your external sub-domain is abc.xyz.com. This domain actually maps to some sub-domain on your Xisto account like tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/. Any URL such as abc.xyz.com/posting.php will be actually tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/posting.php
The thing that you need in this case is an external re-direct, if I am not mistaken. I came across one such discussion at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

However, I couldn't put into work. You should give it a try.

Another thing that could be done is that a PHP page in your external domain could forward the HTTP requests to the actual pages. Using .htaccess file any URLs for the site, such as abc.xyz.com/posting.php could be redirected to abc.xyz.com/index.php. This page would open a connection and get the actual contents from the url, say, tavox.astahost.com/sub/forum/posting.php and display the results to the browser. This should only be done as the last resort as the bandwidth usage becomes double and you'll also have to handle cookies.

Ok, thanks for your help and the information, i will try it next monday -work is over for today- and check if it work. I hope it works.

Best regards,