xisto Community
cse-icons

Paradox Anyone interested

Paradoxes are interesting bit of logic, literally meaning "a self-contradiction".Here is an interesting paradox:The Barber paradox is a paradox that relates to mathematical logic andset theory.The paradox considers a town with a male barber who shaves daily everyman who does not shave himself, and no one else. Such a town cannot exist:If the barber does not shave himself, he must abide by the rule andshave himself.If he does shave himself, according to the rule he will not shave himself.Thus the rule results in an impossible situation.Had read one related to a lawyer and his fees.. would post it as soon as I recall it completely or find it somewhere on my system...So... any others that you know...Cheers.

actually, a town of that description can exist. that barber just needs to grow no beard/facial hair at all. not all males can grow beard/facial hair anyway, for some genetic reason or whatever, so if that male chooses to be a barber, and strictly follows to shave daily every man who does not shave himself, then the paradox is broken. :)or there could be another barber altogether, but FEMALE (who does not need shaving), who shaves the MALE barber daily. again, paradox is resolved: THAT TOWN CAN EXIST. :)

or there could be another barber altogether, but FEMALE (who does not need shaving), who shaves the MALE barber daily. again, paradox is resolved: THAT TOWN CAN EXIST.

He said male barber!

Good job solving it!!!
Than guy from UConn, Villanueva or something, doesn't have any hair. So if he chose to be a barber, such a town might exist.

I think that the point of the paradox is that barber can't shave and not shave himself at the same time.

i can remember one from quite a while ago and its something like an alien coming to eart and it says "aliens always lie." but that would make that a lie so that aliens never lie so the sentence is true but that then makes it a lie, its not a very good one in my opinion and can be broken i think

I think the most common example of a paradox is as follows:If you could travel back into time and kill your parents before you were born, you would never be born.But if you were never born, you could have never existed and have been able to go back into time and kill your parents.So if you never went back into time to kill your parents, you would be born.- So you see, the paradox is that things cancel out. This kind of example is evidence of how time travel would be so tricky. If anyone traveled back into time, there could be something that is known as a butterfly effect (see movie: "The Butterfly Effect"). If you go back into time and change something, that single small change could cause a wave of changes that change all subsequent history, making it so that the need to go back into the past would not exist. Think about it for a bit and imagine that you were able to go back in time. You might change something that would have caused the smallest thing to change, such as parents meeting, and then you would never be born (common theme for time travel movies).

Paradoxes are interesting bit of logic, literally meaning "a self-contradiction".

Here is an interesting paradox:

The Barber paradox is a paradox that relates to mathematical logic and

set theory.

The paradox considers a town with a male barber who shaves daily every

man who does not shave himself, and no one else. Such a town cannot exist:

If the barber does not shave himself, he must abide by the rule and

shave himself.

If he does shave himself, according to the rule he will not shave himself.

Thus the rule results in an impossible situation.

Had read one related to a lawyer and his fees.. would post it as soon as I recall it completely or find it somewhere on my system...

So... any others that you know...

Cheers.

66252[/snapback]

Couldn't the barber be shaved by someone else? And wouldn't this then eliminate the paradox so that the town could exist?

Haha i love these.. my dad loves this type of thing and has stacks of mathematical books with such things in it.. heres one:The following sentance is trueThe previous sentance is falseIf the second sentance is true than the first sentance is false! which means the second sentance is false which makes the first sentance true-- !pretty cool, huh?

Paradoxes are interesting bit of logic, literally meaning "a self-contradiction".

Here is an interesting paradox:

The Barber paradox is a paradox that relates to mathematical logic and

set theory.

The paradox considers a town with a male barber who shaves daily every

man who does not shave himself, and no one else. Such a town cannot exist:

If the barber does not shave himself, he must abide by the rule and

shave himself.

If he does shave himself, according to the rule he will not shave himself.

Thus the rule results in an impossible situation.

Had read one related to a lawyer and his fees.. would post it as soon as I recall it completely or find it somewhere on my system...

So... any others that you know...

Cheers.

66252[/snapback]

You travel back to the history...

You see your grandfather when he was a teenager..

You take a knife and killed him..

In the future of the grandfather's time, you does not exist, because the grandfather is killed..

However it is you who killed the grandfather..

So who exist and who not..?

Oooh, a thread after my own heart :rolleyes:

One of the most famous paradoxes would be Zeno's Paradox. It was even mentioned in a scene in the Meg Ryan movie IQ...

Here's the paradox, or atleast a version of it . It should be very interesting :lol: To think you cannot cross the room!

By the way, since this thread started off with Russell's paradox, I might add that (if I remember right), the paradox drove Russell mad, almost bringing him close to committing suicide. Also, there is some very interesting trivia about how the timing of this paradox spoilt the publication of some mathematical treatise... will get back to this once I find out, can't seem to place the names right now, sorry :(

That one mamasoap put might not be true, while the turtle does get a ehadstart and archiles needs to catch up with each new length, archiles is a faast runner so then the new distance will be caught up and passed quite quickly, considering its a turtle and turtles dont run.