xisto Community
agriogata

Linux Live-cd Or Hard Disk Installed Linux?

LiveCD is quite slow and wears down your CD drive I think. It is also noisy as the CD spins really fast in order to read it as fast as possible. If you are just testing the software, that's fine.If you would like to use Linux frequently and don't mind having another partition on your hard disk, install it on the hard disk for more "stable" use.

LiveCD is quite slow and wears down your CD drive I think. It is also noisy as the CD spins really fast in order to read it as fast as possible. If you are just testing the software, that's fine.
If you would like to use Linux frequently and don't mind having another partition on your hard disk, install it on the hard disk for more "stable" use.

I Agree, Live CD's are only for testing purposes, they were never made to run an entire system of them. I would suggest the same thing Firefox said, dual boot Linux/Other Distro on your computer! works well! :rolleyes:

For instance, the last LiveCD I installed told me "your Wifi adapter is detected, but the drivers are not in the free version, please buy the commercial version". This was a good reason for not installing this version on my hard drive.By the way, the competitors even did not detect the adapter, which was worse.So, this was a "no-linux yet" PC.So, you check using a live CD, if you like it you install it. If you don't like, you save the installation time.

Hi, :rolleyes: Sometimes when I need to use the PC. without haveing to spend time on hard disk installation, I use a live Linux CD.but,The hard disk installation is more relayeable and more stable and if we want to save our OS configuration we can save it on a floppy disk or flash drive or hard drive, it is more relayable to have them inside the OS on the hard drive.Thats what i think anyway.Thank youTacho

Hi, :rolleyes: Sometimes when I need to use the PC. without haveing to spend time on hard disk installation, I use a live Linux CD.

I totally agree with this, this is the main purpose of a LiveCD.
Also, there is almost no way for adding a driver to a liveCD. So, if you happen to have a sound or video device whose driver is not included in the livecd, you cannot use your device.
However, in a hard drive installation, you will probably find somewhere the linux driver for your device as well as the installation guide, and you will be able to use it.

and...if you're stalling out hard drive installation because you need windows for one or two things with which Wine fails miserably, you can always install linux over a Windows installation... assuming of course that you're able to properly "shrink" the hard drives for enough space to install /, /home, and swap...that's what i did on one computer... as I still have trouble getting Reason to work on Wine, and the other linux tools available for music creation are somewhat less comprehensive than I would prefer...of course, my system loads GRUB which then allows me to select WindowsXP or openSUSE...but for all intensive purposes, i don't trust cd's for any kind of data... they scratch if you look at them, or something comes up, and they fail to boot... : )