xisto Community
icash

Access Is this easy to make a login/password?

We just learned the basics of Microsoft Access in school and I have no idea of how it is used for other than organize information for companies. It isn't very flexible and is quite confusing to use. I think it is best suited for info that doesn't need to be "accessed" often as adding/editing records are easy enough, but for people logging on and off of it noone can seem to find anything like that.
I highly recommend using MySQL and PHP (or ASP + MSSQL if you are on Windows) and doing a database from there. That's what I use and that is what major companies use.

I just had to respond to this as it seems your class failed you miserably. As an Access developer I have made applications in Access for several companies that are used for mission critical tasks and data. Access can be used as a Client server system with multiple concurrent users as well. With same VBA Access also makes a nice RAD tool.

Though I have used Access as a back end for ASP pages as well it is better suited for desktop applications use.

How to secure information in a form using a login password?

Access

I'm trying to make a database of our company's documents where people can view all the information of certain documents but they are not allowed to add, edit or delete information on the database. They can only navigate and view records.

I wanted to open the database using two usernames such as Controller and Viewer, with their assigned passwords. The Controller can open the database and have all the permissions to add, edit or delete. While the Viewer is limited to what I have described above.

Hope you can help me with this. A simple database sample would be very much appreciated.

Can this be done without using the User and Groups Security tools?

-question by Tony Santos

How to secure information in a form using a login password?

Access

I'm trying to make a database of our company's documents where people can view all the information of certain documents but they are not allowed to add, edit or delete information on the database. They can only navigate and view records.

I wanted to open the database using two usernames such as Controller and Viewer, with their assigned passwords. The Controller can open the database and have all the permissions to add, edit or delete. While the Viewer is limited to what I have described above.

Hope you can help me with this. A simple database sample would be very much appreciated.

Can this be done without using the User and Groups Security tools?

-question by Tony Santos

This CAN be done without using users and groups, but, there is no reason not to. The security tools in Access are tried and proven to work leaving no reason to re-invent the wheel. If you have troubles using the tools provided in the application the help files are well written and support.microsoft.com is a wonderful resource. Of course if you have specific questions we can help you here as well.

Taking a small risk at offense: if the tools Access provides for securing a database are a bit beyond a designers understanding then creating effective security on his own is well beyond it.