xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

New Computer What do you recommend?

Ok well we are considering purchasing a new computer. We've looked at a few different options, mainly Dell.

Some of the features are already decided, like this:

Windows Vista Home Premium

2GB RAM

At least 320 GB hard drive

22" wide-screen monitor

The graphics card and sound card aren't really such a big deal, we do not use this PC for gaming/video-editing anyways. The PC will primarily used for Office applications, web development, general Internet/email use, watching DVDs and learning about Windows Vista (I can't wait to use User Account Control!).

The most important thing on the list is 3 Year Tech Support. I won't explain that here, but even with Linux it is the most important thing on the list.

Now some things I would like to know about:

Should I aim for getting the Pentium D dual-core processor (1.6 GHz) or the Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E4500 (2MB L2 Cache,2.20GHz,800 FSB)? A lot of people on CNet say that Windows Vista is optimized for 2 processors, but it brings the cost of the PC up by $100 (incl. taxes and everything).

Is it worth adding $30 for a 13 in 1 Media Card Reader? I don't think so, because I rarely use media cards, mostly USB flash drives. But they may have other uses.

Should I pay $20 for a Data fax modem or $40 for an Internal PCI 802.11g Wireless Network card or neither? I thought that this would be a good deal, but apparently the other people want to connect the new computer to the router and buy a wireless adapter for this Windows XP computer.

Is a TV tuner a good investment ($100)? We initially thought it was, but now we are unclear on this.

Also if you have other opinions on the any other components then feel free to tell me. So far the PC with the Core 2 Duo processor is $1,103.52 CDN (including taxes and shipping). We don't want anything too expensive, however we want to make a good investment as we would use the PC for about 4 years before buying another one.

DELL are a good brand, at that price, I would forget fancy stuff and rip Vista off, install XP over it. I am using a dual-core processor in XP, it runs quite well. If you want a Media Center (TV, DVD), buy a Media Center PC and connect it to your TV. But make sure that the TV Tuner is the right type for your area like Freeview tuner won't work in a non-Freeview area and vice versa. If its a hybrid, don't worry since it is analogue and Freeview also. You can get FM tuner as well in the hybrid package.xxxx-jozh-xxxx

I'll just give you an advice that most computer experts will tell you, no matter what the price is... DO NOT EVER EVER IN YOUR LIFETIME GO FOR DELL. It is just that bad.

As for processor, I always go for AMD because of the price per performance (and per watt). I recommend any machine with AMD Athlon X2 4200+. Else, go for Core 2 Duo. The Pentium D overheats too much and uses a lot of power to run, so you'll lose money through your power bill.

It is also recommended to go Windows XP until Vista Service Pack 1 because Microsoft has to iron all those performance issues first.

If you always use memory cards, then a memory card reader is the most logical way to go.

Unless you have dial-up, do not bother with the modem, get a WIFI network card instead (that is if you have a wireless network in the first place).

Actually, now looking at your price range, I'd just highly recommend an iMac instead. The base model starts at $1,299 and are a lot better. For that price, it already comes with an pretty good graphics card (Radeon HD 2400) and has a better processor than what you listed. Even better, it runs MacOS X Leopard! http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Also remember, that you can always dual boot your system for Windows for gaming too :rolleyes:. As for warranty, you can always purchase AppleCare and it provides one of the best tech support I've ever encountered, it's highly suggested. Truly the only computer you'll ever need.

iMac tech specs: https://support.apple.com/specs/ (All Apple iMac processors come with a 1066 MHz FSB)

Happy hunting!

xboxrulz

Also, in addition I noticed that you won't be using it for gaming, video editing, so you won't need the best performance available, but of course, Vista needs much more resources, so you can get a bit older gfx card and not the best one in the market ;]

I'll just give you an advice that most computer experts will tell you, no matter what the price is... DO NOT EVER EVER IN YOUR LIFETIME GO FOR DELL. It is just that bad.

Dell has been great for me so far. I absolutely love their technical support, so problems are actually fun for me. B)

As for processor, I always go for AMD because of the price per performance (and per watt). I recommend any machine with AMD Athlon X2 4200+. Else, go for Core 2 Duo. The Pentium D overheats too much and uses a lot of power to run, so you'll lose money through your power bill.

I will take that into consideration. However, will Skype run properly on an AMD processor?

It is also recommended to go Windows XP until Vista Service Pack 1 because Microsoft has to iron all those performance issues first.

Sorry, but everyone here wants to enjoy and learn more about Vista. Besides, service packs are free, right?

If you always use memory cards, then a memory card reader is the most logical way to go.

Then I guess a memory card reader isn't that good of an investment.

Unless you have dial-up, do not bother with the modem, get a WIFI network card instead (that is if you have a wireless network in the first place).

For physical location reasons, the router must be plugged into this (new) computer. So therefore I don't think a wireless network card will do good. But I do plan to buy a router (we don't have one yet) and a USB wireless device for the old computer.

Actually, now looking at your price range, I'd just highly recommend an iMac instead. The base model starts at $1,299 and are a lot better. For that price, it already comes with an pretty good graphics card (Radeon HD 2400) and has a better processor than what you listed. Even better, it runs MacOS X Leopard! http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Also remember, that you can always dual boot your system for Windows for gaming too :rolleyes:. As for warranty, you can always purchase AppleCare and it provides one of the best tech support I've ever encountered, it's highly suggested. Truly the only computer you'll ever need.

I also considered looking at an iMac too, but I prefer Windows XP/Windows Vista and various distributions of Linux over Mac OS X (actually, I would rather learn to use some command-line Linux stuff than use Mac OS X)

iMac tech specs: https://support.apple.com/specs/ (All Apple iMac processors come with a 1066 MHz FSB)

Happy hunting!

xboxrulz

Well I guess that my decisions were right. I won't do gaming much (nor any other high-performance tasks such as video editing), so I don't need an expensive and high performance PC. I've gotten too used to Windows quirks (e.g. "Found New Hardware" and "Resolving Network Address") to switch to a Mac, even Linux is weird for me because it runs quite smoothly (sure I need to use the terminal here and there but that's ok). Everything advertised on the Apple site (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) seems too easy to use.

Oh and if I don't get Windows Vista, I will miss User Account Control a lot. I mean a lot.

I myself am planning on getting a new computer in the coming months. I plan to update my design programs and try to put them all onto the new PC. I have done a lot on my PC right now, but I am lacking a lot of memory that I would love to have for my new one.I am ready to go all out, and now that the 90's are gone... computer prices are now reasonable. I have seen acer, Dell, and emachine in the lower price ranges. I have seen all that are PC and the brandnames nowadays just don't seem to jump to me... I have basically played with each OS and each system, so it will be whichever comes to me at that time, and maybe which one has the best deal at the time... So I like that I have taken in a lot of information that you all have shared, and that may even help me out, too.Have fun with that new computer, because when I end up getting mine, I will too!- skedad -

Dell has been great for me so far. I absolutely love their technical support, so problems are actually fun for me. :rolleyes:

I will take that into consideration. However, will Skype run properly on an AMD processor?

Sorry, but everyone here wants to enjoy and learn more about Vista. Besides, service packs are free, right?

Then I guess a memory card reader isn't that good of an investment.

For physical location reasons, the router must be plugged into this (new) computer. So therefore I don't think a wireless network card will do good. But I do plan to buy a router (we don't have one yet) and a USB wireless device for the old computer.

I also considered looking at an iMac too, but I prefer Windows XP/Windows Vista and various distributions of Linux over Mac OS X (actually, I would rather learn to use some command-line Linux stuff than use Mac OS X)

Well I guess that my decisions were right. I won't do gaming much (nor any other high-performance tasks such as video editing), so I don't need an expensive and high performance PC. I've gotten too used to Windows quirks (e.g. "Found New Hardware" and "Resolving Network Address") to switch to a Mac, even Linux is weird for me because it runs quite smoothly (sure I need to use the terminal here and there but that's ok). Everything advertised on the Apple site (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) seems too easy to use.

Oh and if I don't get Windows Vista, I will miss User Account Control a lot. I mean a lot.

If you like Dell, then power to you. However, most of the machines I fix this school year have mainly been a Dell. Acer almost tied. Also, I haven't seen a Dell machine that lasted more than 3 years at my school.

Then again, it's quite a small demographic. I've had bad experiences when servicing a Dell than any other machines.

You're also the first person I've heard that would even remotely miss the UAC.

As for ease of use, sure, Macs were meant to be easy to use, but aside from that, it's a regular UNIX system with a very good desktop environment. Dive right in and you can basically tinker it as much as Linux (minus full system customization). I've got many command line software for my Mac as much as I did on Linux. Hell, I can use a lot of those command line Linux software on the Mac since both are POSIX compliant. If it wasn't for its UNIX ancestry, I won't even go for a Mac.

xboxrulz

My first reason for getting Windows Vista was to learn more about it.

The second reason for getting Windows Vista is almost as big as the first one, to get the full experience of User Account Control. I think that it is an EXCELLENT feature in Windows Vista.

I do realize Macs use UNIX, however I'm quite comfortable with using Ubuntu and maybe other distributions of Linux once I am more used to it. When launching Administrative applications in Linux, the whole screen is dimmed and prompts you to enter your password to do the task, I enjoy that so much that I sometimes access Administrative applications just to see that box. Even though Windows is copying that functionality in Linux (I think), it is absolutely awesome. I wish they would put it in more of Linux and Windows.

Does anyone know if Vista will allow you to have a password of more than 255 characters? What about more than 65,535 characters long? Is there a maximum length to the login password?

wot :rolleyes: ? I've read some things I'd like to ... correct. First of all, Vista isn't bad at all, I used to think the same but I've been using it for about a year and after some tweaking and chaning some settings it does run great ! And guess on what it runs ? Yes, a Dell. I haven't had any problems with this laptop neither did my school (they were using Dell that were like 4-5 years old B) ).As for processor, even tough I'm a fan boy, I advise you to go for a Core2 Duo, they are fast and consume only a litlle amount of energy. Avoid getting a PentiumD, they are hot and slow :P .Btw, skype runs fine on AMD cpu's :P .Last thing, can't imagine an iMac is cheaper than a regular pc :) . Their iBooks are way too expensive (a €1255 iBook can never match my Inspiron 6400).

Yes, I need to experience Vista before deciding if it is good or bad for me. If it sucks, oh well, at least I have something more to learn about. I personally think that Dell is great, my school uses Dell and quite a few people around my town uses Dell also (some use Acer because the local computer shop sells Acer systems).

I am definitely thinking about getting Core 2 Duo, that was my first instinct. I do think Macintosh computers are expensive and again, too easy to use. I was wondering about Skype on AMD processors because of this: https://www.cnet.com/news/amds-lawyers-call-on-skype/.

Anyways, I'll see if we can reach an agreement sometime soon (hopefully before 2008).

I used to have Windows Vista on my machine, I eventually can't stand it anymore, since it's a resource hogger. Either I get a new upgrade or when Microsoft finally decides to release SP1 is when I would retry Windows Vista. I haven't found any useful features than the fact that Windows Explorer and the Start Menu is easier to use and it automatically reorganizes itself. Else than that, all I see Windows Vista is a bloated version of Windows XP with not many things that have been added to the system. Oh, and also by imitating a few things from MacOS X.Also, a Macbook's price is only $100 more with the similar components in a Dell Inspiron 1420, so I don't know why people complaining that Macs are so much more expensive.My brother has Windows Vista and has been causing him a great deal of problems of late, so I really want that SP1 to see if it patches anything. Else, I can conclude that Windows Vista is junk.xboxrulz

Well security packs are free, right?So I don't see a reason to wait much longer. I'm quite excited for Vista, and if it sucks, I will have to learn about it to keep up with more computing skills.Because most of the population is using Windows, servers on Linux, I'm learning boths of these operating systems instead of Macintosh computers.So did anyone figure out the password length thing?

Well security packs are free, right?So I don't see a reason to wait much longer. I'm quite excited for Vista, and if it sucks, I will have to learn about it to keep up with more computing skills.
Because most of the population is using Windows, servers on Linux, I'm learning boths of these operating systems instead of Macintosh computers.

So did anyone figure out the password length thing?

True, but not in some demographics. I see a surge of new Mac users, mainly at my school. Apple has really pulled through in recapturing lost territory in the early 1990s.

There's nothing new to learn in Windows Vista, if you know XP, you know Vista (except you just need to refine those skills for the newer version). If you say the leap from Windows 98 to XP, I'd understand, but there hasn't been any extraordinary things in Vista.

As for the password length, it's as long as a filename byte you can store in NTFS, which is 255-characters.

xboxrulz

Well I actually need to teach my family how to use Windows to it's full potential. They haven't learned the core basics of Windows 95/98 yet. I got a book from the library and it is quite huge. Vista sure sounds exciting.Dell dropped its prices for the PC by $60 again this week. I don't know if it is time to buy yet.

machine prices will continue to drop and new technologies will come about. If you don't make the leap of faith, you'll never get a machine.As for getting a large book from the library ... I just spend time to learn Windows myself, have been using Windows since I was 3, and really got into computing when I was 8, so I've been toying around with Windows for 14 years. However, Windows isn't hard to learn, just get the basics nailed down and you're good for the rest of your Windows life.Windows and Mac are just as easy, no books should be required.As for Linux and other UNIX (excluding MacOS X), that's another story.xboxrulz