xisto Community
jimmy89

Nokia N95

I am looking to purcahse a new phone (old ones had it and works willing to purchase it for me) and I was looking at getting the Nokia n95. Looking at the specs it doesn't look that bad, plus the gps will be very useful for me! The only worrying thing is the battery life. I had read a few reviews that have said that it is pretty pathetic. Is this true? Also, are there any other suggestions that you want to put forward instead of the n95.Thanks-jimmy

N95 is symbian based. Thus it give you more flexibility in terms of application that you can install. In other words, additional functionality is always possible. But, symbian for Nokia is half way in between PocketPC/Palm and a normal phone. So, you can't expect full pda function or flexibility. And also you can't expect very user friendly usage. It's a compromise. I've use S60 series of nokia 6600 and 7610. It's rather old, but it did prove that stability is an issue. 3rd party software can cause some problem if you expect it to be very stable. If you don't install any 3rd party software, then it doesn't serve the purpose to purchase a symbian based one in the first place. As for PDA phone like pocket pc or palm, you'll already expecting stability issue like pc, but you can have flexibility at hand, if that's what you're after. GPS for N95 also isn't that good. First, default GPS software from Nokia has limited maps and location. Secondly, you can't expect much choice of 3rd party GPS software and maps, at least for now and the 6 coming months. Worse if you stay in a less popular township, or even a less popular country. 3rd, most likely you'll have to mount your phone so that it has line of sight to the sky to receive GPS signal, and be portable enough to be taken out when you're not driving. All and all, the built in GPS is not worth the price tag.Anyway, i would always prefer a separate pda and phone, cause in case your pda battery die, you can still make phone call, or if you phone battery dies, you can still get the phonebook from the pda, can call using another phone, or even public phone. You can always have the full functionality at hand, plus stability. If you need to go light at times, just leave the pda at home. But for a pda phone, you'll always have to lug in around, whether you need the pda function or not.

Well I am a bit of a pocket pc fan myself.I have had a HTC9090 for a couple of years and its been amazing!!MY phone contract ran out last month and for the same contract I could get a brand new HTC Touch.BOY OH BOY what a phone!!If you want the performance of a top pocket pc and the style of a Iphone, its here!It even has the same sort of navigation that the i Phone uses - before you start..I am certain that Apple have copied this not the other way round because HTC had been developing this phone out long before anyone mentioned an Iphone, and I have seen early pics of it in action a long time ago.I can say that the phone works great as a phone, and excellent as a pocket pc, the wifi is really easy to use (much better in WM5 ) and browsing the net is very easy and clear on the screen it has.It can take up to 12gig of miniSD RAM probably more cos my old phone said it had a limit of 6gig but ive heard it can take more.Also my phone is NOT simlocked in anyway, I am not tied to use it on one network unlike any Iphone.Go google HTC Touch and see the future;)

I had a look at the HTC website, and i cant say that its a phone that i like, just by the look of it. Otherwise it looks (in a technical perspective :rolleyes:) pretty good, i havent had a look at the specs yet! I am assuming it it much like any other windows portable device, allowing you to put anything that'll run a windows mobile device on it?I would like to have a organiser/blackberry style phone so i can put appointments addresses etc onto it. My old palm (m505) is getting very old, even though it still works! and i would like to combine the two (its hard to carry around both of them going from site to site at work!)