xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
haron

Tony Hawk?s Pro Skater

Tony Hawks American Wasteland is out in England, I just saw it in Tescos for ?35.00 I woulda got it and given a review but I only had ?20 :P As soon as I have it I will let y'all know about it it seems Excellent and the graphics looka mazing.

I think this is bored game beacuse there exist none of the thing is intresting.A man running the skates,sorry actually i dont know the name which a player used to run, and jump and jump.i think its a time pass game not for intrest.

i think tony hawk underground 1 is the best game ever i ahev compleated it and love playing it i used to play it all the time but now i make my webpage and play rachet and clank gladiator for the ps2 all the time

This is what I think of Tony Hawks:THs Skateboarding (or THPS1): 0/10 'cos there was so little you can do. No creators, no manuals, reverts, spine transfers - all it was was skating with only jumps and grinds possible. BORING!TH Pro Skater (THPS) 2: 5/10. Brilliant, well designed and fun, but doesn't compare to *most* tony hawks games today, especially since the only additional tricks were the manual combos.THPS 3: 7/10. Intruducing the idea of gaining stats by finding them or completing goals made this the best ever, as well as there being much better two-player games an an easier-to-read interface. Plus it actually told you when you were in the lead! If it wasn't for the newer games, I'd say this game was perfect.THPS 4: 6.9/10, because although it was a step-up from the previous, allowing you to choose goals instead of having two minutes to complete as many as you can, this was really it's only extra feature. The addition of Spine Transfers also helped, but I still think THPS 3 was better.I think I've given my opinion on enough many games here.

Edited by NDPA (see edit history)

To be honest I'd say the pinnacles of the series are Tony Hawks 2/3 and later Underground (1). From what I've heard/read American Wasteland is not all that great, just in the way it's set out - or tries to do too much.Personally I played a lot of THPS3, which was a lot of fun in it's time I'd have to admit. They've really upped the polish and presentation on these games over the years though - and the ones I've gotten my hands on play great, if not rather similarly (ie if you can do a combo in one of the games, you can pretty much do it in the rest)...

I'll admit it right here and now; throughout my college career, and on into my first several years in the workplace, I was a Tony Hawk NUT. In my mind, Neversoft could do no wrong as long as they kept pumping out new stages, new challenges and new hidden characters. The series never grew old for me, so the thought of revamping it never really entered my head. If it ain't broke, don't spend the time and energy fixing it, right?Well, Neversoft gave it a try anyway. And, in the process of reinventing the wheel, they've managed to lose a little bit of the magic that so captivated me during the first three games in the series. It's not a bad game, but it's not really up to the level I've come to expect from a game bearing Tony Hawk's name. The heart and soul of Tony Hawk IV is now found in its "free skate" career mode. Where previous incarnations would allow skaters to choose between free skate (in which you weren't given the opportunity to complete any goals) or the timed challenge mode, here they're merged into a single system. It's only when you initiate a conversation with one of the game's many non-playable characters that you're granted your goals, one piece at a time. Say goodbye to those days of nailing a high score, pro score and sick score all in one run.. in THPS4, you've got to hit them each with a completely separate run and launch point. Where the series once thrived on its cool, inventive and excitingly fresh goals, the objectives in the newest update often leave a player scratching his or her head. Because I'm not 100% fluent in skate-lingo, I often found myself relying on online guides, just to figure out what the game was asking me to do. In Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, goals are no longer a pleasant surprise. They're a chore. Veterans will be pleased to note the magnificent control system has remained intact through yet another game. There isn't a more efficient way to control a virtual skateboard than this. Grinding, ollying, lipping, grabbing, kicking.. it's all become almost a second language to me by now. And, with the seamless integration of several new abilities, the system just keeps growing. Players can now transfer from one side of a lip to the other by pressing the "R2" button, an addition which aids midair maneuvering immeasurably. It's also now possible to continue a combo out of a big grab trick, which is a big help in obtaining those sick scores. There's a reason the controls THPS1 established have been imitated with such regularity by the competition; they're impossible to top. The music for this collection is one of the greatest in the series. You'll hear cuts from GoldFinger, Biz Markie, Avail, AC/DC, The Cult, Run DMC, The Bouncing Souls, Flogging Molly, Less Than Jake and more, all in crystal clear cd-quality. They even continued the old school trend established with the Ramones in THPS3, including "Anarchy in the UK" by the Sex Pistols. A couple of the hardcore rap tracks really aren't my cup of tea, but thanks some expert coding in the options screen, I'm given the opportunity to remove any track I desire from the active rotation. I don't think words can describe the amount of agony that option has saved me. Ever since the third game of their run proved it was possible, gamers had been chomping at the bit to get Tony Hawk 4 onto the internet for competitive online play. And, while it's not the online-friendly kind of game that Unreal Tournament or NBA 2k3 is, Tony Hawk still holds his own as a multiplayer entity in design. In function, unfortunately... well, let's just say a few rotten apples ruined the bunch. I picked up my copy of Tony Hawk 4 a few weeks after its release, plugged in and went immediately to the online option. It took me about fifteen minutes to run into my first opponent using a GameShark or other unspecified hack to beat the system. Put simply, the spirit of online competition has been rendered almost null and void. If you're no good, there's no fun in playing online, as even the "newbie" rooms are filled with players using the 'perfect balance' or 'perfect manual' hack. If you're honestly good, there's no fun in playing online, as you'll be constantly accused of being a cheat. It's a stupid way to watch the community swirl around the toilet bowl, but it's happening all the same. Possibly the most notable new feature in the series is the addition of a unique "pro challenge" for each non-hidden character. What really makes this section stand out, in my opinion, is the fact that these wildly imaginative challenges all relate directly to the real skater behind the pixelized representation. For instance, Bam Margera's pro challenge involves reliving a few moments from his work on the MTV program "Jackass." Eric Koston asks you to grind a ridiculous distance. It's a really cool idea, and helps each skater to emerge as an individual, complete with unique strengths and weaknesses. Even cooler, once you've actually completed the challenge, you unlock a video extra of your skater actually landing the trick you just performed. All in all, it's a great way to wrap up the game.What it all boils down to is this; when I reached 100% completion in Tony Hawk 4, I put the game in its case and filed it away into my library of games. Chances are, I won't touch it again for years. I'd much rather throw in any of the first three games, despite the improvements made in many areas of THPS4, just because the goals are so unfulfilling. Neversoft tried to give us something revolutionary, and in so doing left their classic formula partially behind. In the end it's undeserving of the legendary name which adorns its case.