xisto Community
jbitkill

Powerpoint Based Games! I know how to make them

I've made a number of Jeopardy games for class with powerpoint and everyone always absolutely loves them. Unless there's some kind of coding I don't know about for Powerpoint, I can't imagine making tic tac toe or anything where Powerpoint would have to remember things like where Player One put their X and where Player Two put two Os. With Powerpoint, I can't imagine making anything more complicated than a Jeopardy game, a Choose Your Own Adventure game, a comic strip/slide story, an animation (I'll explain how to do these), or a drawing game (I'll explain this too, although it is much less complicated).

Create an Animation With Powerpoint

Get your idea for the animation.

Estimate how long this story will take you and how many slides it will be and see if you still feel like doing it.

If you still want to try, create the layout for the first scene. Draw whatever background is necessary for your story.

Create/Draw the character(s).

For the second slide, you don't have to redraw the whole thing. Just duplicate the slide and move whatever needs to be moved for the desired animation!

Continue duplicating and repeating these steps for however many scenes you have.

Watch your animation often to make sure it is exactly the way you want it and you didn't mess up somewhere. Watch it by holding down the space bar or the right arrow key. You will see each frame in succession. (If you have a slow computer, it may look choppy. Choppy animations can be fixed later though. If your computer is very fast, you might want to add extra frames so you can read any text you might have your characters saying and it won't look like everything is rushed.)

When it is done, call your family into the room to marvel at your work!

If you just want to leave it at that, fine. If you want it on Youtube, however, you can download "Cam Studio". Cam Studio records your computer screen and it can ever record sound! If you have a webcam, the sound recording feature can be very useful!

Tell Cam Studio to start recording then click "View Slideshow". Then play your slideshow animation by holding the spacebar until it is done, then stop recording. If you want your characters to have voices, you can set Cam Studio to record the sound from your webcam. When the animation is over, stop recording and wait for Cam Studio to process it. Ones with sound will take a little longer.

Watch and edit it. You can edit out the part where you are clicking "View Slideshow" and the black screen when it is over. Also if your animation was super fast, you can slow it down. You don't need a complex multi-million dollar movie editor for this. You can use Windows Movie Maker, which is what I did.

Then you can put it on Youtube for all to see! If yours is especially long, you can upload it to Google, which is what I did with one of my extremely long ones. Here it is by the way, if you want an example:

http://static.googleusercontent.com/media/video.google.com/en//googleplayer.swf?d=en&fs=true

It is an animation about British Slang that I did for my People to People project. Enjoy!

I'll be putting a copy of this in the tutorials forum.

Create a Drawing Game With Powerpoint

This is all too simple. All you really need is one slide and a pretty background for people to draw on, but that part is optional.

After you have ONE SLIDE just click "View Slideshow" and go to the bottom left corner and select a drawing utensil.

DRAW YOUR HEART OUT!

Edited by yordan
quoted the double-post already existing at http://www.astahost.com/index.php?showtopic=19072&st=0 (see edit history)

I've made a number of Jeopardy games for class with powerpoint and everyone always absolutely loves them. Unless there's some kind of coding I don't know about for Powerpoint, I can't imagine making tic tac toe or anything where Powerpoint would have to remember things like where Player One put their X and where Player Two put two Os. With Powerpoint, I can't imagine making anything more complicated than a Jeopardy game, a Choose Your Own Adventure game, a comic strip/slide story, an animation (I'll explain how to do these), or a drawing game (I'll explain this too, although it is much less complicated).

Create an Animation With Powerpoint

[*] Get your idea for the animation.

Great idea, and nice topic.

However, please take care, we hate double-posting here.

You posted this topic here answering a question, and you also posted it in the "tutorial" section.

You cannot post twice. if you want to tell again something, please refer to your previous post, or put your text between quotes.

Great idea, and nice topic.However, please take care, we hate double-posting here.
You posted this topic here answering a question, and you also posted it in the "tutorial" section.
You cannot post twice. if you want to tell again something, please refer to your previous post, or put your text between quotes.

Ohh... I actually didn't know you could do that! I would have done it if I had known. Sorry!

Ohh... I actually didn't know you could do that! I would have done it if I had known. Sorry!

You didn't know, I can accept that. But... Do you know now ? Did you find the "wrap in quote tags" button to click when you want to quote a copied text ?