xisto Community
Xnet

2 Networks, Wrong One Takes Over

Hello, I have a problem with 2 networks one wireless and one wired. The problem is that when I connect to the wired network it takes over and does not let my comp send info over the wireless network. I had it working before but I did several things like bridge the two connections or it could have been when I reset the wired router. What do I have to do to get the wireless network as the main network and wired as secondary. Thanx for any help.

Try fix the IP of your wired network, then don't put anything for the DNS and gateway. Or entered the gateway of your wireless network into the setting of the wired network card. You can check your auto assigned gateway (via DHCP by your router) by looking under the connection status, Support tab. The default gateway will be shown there.Good Luck

Are both adapters on the same subnet? If they aren't, just change your default gateway via the route command to match whichever subnet's gateway the preferred adapter is on. If they are on the same subnet, just give the preferred adapter a lower metric via the netsh command.

Are both adapters on the same subnet? If they aren't, just change your default gateway via the route command to match whichever subnet's gateway the preferred adapter is on. If they are on the same subnet, just give the preferred adapter a lower metric via the netsh command.

ethergeek, you're right about the metric. Didn't think of that.

Xnet, you can also change the metrci from the property of the wired connection. Under the property, open up the property of the TCP/IP, click on advance. Now you should see that "Automatic metric" is checked. Unchecked it. For you wireless connection, use metric of 1, as for your wired connection, use a metric of 2 or higher. More priority is given to the lower number.