xisto Community
ejfetters

Internet Connection Sharing Problems

I really need help!  My parents (82 & 77) have 2 computers.  There is a modem from earthlink and a linksys router.  The pc is connected via ethernet and the wireless via the router.  All was working fine until 3 days ago.

My mom (enough knowledge to be devastatingly dangerous) went "playing around" and apparently found herself in network connections.  Yikes.  I barely knew enough in the first place to connect everything in the beginning so obviously this is really beyond me.

As she was fiddling around and exploring network connections she inadvertently changed some settings (could be one or several).  Prior to this when she booted up her pc (xp/sp3) I believe it just loaded and went into windows - not entirely sure of this she may have had to click on her user picture - but I thought it just went into windows.  There is only one user account on the pc (guest is turned off).  Anyway, now when windows load the familiar box comes up with her name asking for a password which she never set up.  So with her name showing, no password entered she its ok and windows loads.  She can live with that but it isn't how it used to be.

I mention this problem because something she changed has created this.  I believe she was in the authentication area and may have changed something there but I am not familiar enough with those things to figure it out.  

The upshot is now my father cannot access the internet on his laptop if the PC is on (an undeducated guess would be that the authentication relies on her sign in but it is purely a guess).  if her computer is off he goes in unplugs the router and the ethernet cord going into her pc then goes and turns on his laptop and he connects just fine.  She goes in and turns on her computer and wham - he is toast.

I need help.  They are older, they are beginning to panic and they are all upset.  Does anyone know what she did or perhaps how I can fix it.  What should her lan settings be in regards to authentication?????????  please help!  I'm desperate

-question by malcom

Wait before connecting wirelessInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. I'm running a  Level One wireless Network adapter to my Linksys Router. Up until a few weeks ago, when I would open the laptop (and "wake it up"), it would connect within seconds to the network. Now, it takes probably around a couple of minutes, sometimes even more.

Is there a setting I can check? I'm running Windos XP Professional.

Thanks in advance.

-question by jennebach

Help with Windows 7 WirlessInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Help I am trying to get a wireless connection to work in home setting. I have 1 desktop with router and 3 laptops. One laptop is using Windows 7. The other two laptops have no problem connecting to the internet. The Windows 7 laptop will not get an IP address it can't see the other PC. It can see the network that is all. The IP address it gets is 169.X.X.X I have tried several things but nothing works. I can take this same machine to the university on their wireless and not have a problem. Any suggestions?

-reply by Debbie

Help with Windows 7 WirlessInternet Connection Sharing ProblemsHelp I am trying to get a wireless connection to work in home setting. I have 1 desktop with router and 3 laptops. One laptop is using Windows 7. The other two laptops have no problem connecting to the internet. The Windows 7 laptop will not get an IP address it can't see the other PC. It can see the network that is all. The IP address it gets is 169.X.X.X I have tried several things but nothing works. I can take this same machine to the university on their wireless and not have a problem. Any suggestions?-reply by Debbie

Hardwire Ports not working Dlink DI-624m Dlink routerInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hard ports on dlink router not working, getting 169 ip with low connectivitym however the wireless connection is working. Changed cable. When plugged in directly to modem pc can connect. Running XP professional. Please help

-question by Mike G

Hardwire Ports not working Dlink DI-624m Dlink router

Hard ports on dlink router not working, getting 169 ip with low connectivitym however the wireless connection is working. Changed cable. When plugged in directly to modem pc can connect. Running XP professional. Please help

-question by Mike G

If you're using a crossover cable then the signal will degrade rapidly over the line if it is close to any other networking equipment. The nature of the corssover cable makes it vulnerable to unwanted network chatter on the line. Same with CAT5 cables as well. If you aren't using a crossover or CAT5 and are just using a standard ethernet cable then maybe try updating the firmware? Possibly even just replacing the firmware. I would recommend using http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Hardwire Ports not working Dlink DI-624m Dlink router

<p>Hard ports on dlink router not working, getting 169 ip with low connectivitym however the wireless connection is working. Changed cable. When plugged in directly to modem pc can connect. Running XP professional. Please help</p>

<p>

-question by Mike G

</p>

The problem is that the connection is not being assigned an IP from a DHCP server, in which case Windows chooses an IP usually from the 169 range. Either manually setup the device to have a static IP address or configure your DHCP server properly. When the IP address is in the range that your network is on, that low connectivity message will disappear.

Cheers,

MC

Wireless Internet connection sharing pc to xbox360 questionInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi, I am trying to share my wireless connection with my xbox 360 with either my laptop or desktop. The problem I keep having when I follow the tutorials on this I have found is that everytime I try I get an error saying that a lan connection is already set up using the ip address needed to enable internet connection sharing which is 192'168'0'1.Well I am guessing that the problem is that after going into my router (d-link) settings, I see that it says that the routers ip address is 192.168.0.1 and because of that it wont let me change the ip address on either computer to that address.Also I do have alot of computers and game systems set up wirelessly, and my pc has a port forwarded for a torrent program and I don't want mess that up, so I don't want to change stuff around without some instructions so I don't mess up the network for anyone else.What should I do?

-question by dustin

Wireless Internet connection sharing pc to xbox360 question

Hi, I am trying to share my wireless connection with my xbox 360 with either my laptop or desktop. The problem I keep having when I follow the tutorials on this I have found is that everytime I try I get an error saying that a lan connection is already set up using the ip address needed to enable internet connection sharing which is 192'168'0'1. Well I am guessing that the problem is that after going into my router (d-link) settings, I see that it says that the routers ip address is 192.168.0.1 and because of that it wont let me change the ip address on either computer to that address. Also I do have alot of computers and game systems set up wirelessly, and my pc has a port forwarded for a torrent program and I don't want mess that up, so I don't want to change stuff around without some instructions so I don't mess up the network for anyone else. What should I do?

-question by dustin

Unfortunately for you the router can't assign its own ip's and have the pc assigning ip's as well. Basically when you setup ICS on a computer, that computer takes on the IP allocation duties a normal router would do, but only if the DHCP server on the router is turned off. The DHCP server btw is what allocates the ip's to every device connected to it wirelessely and hardwired. The other devices on the network will be fine, the pc with ICS enabled will assign the ip's for you to these devices through your router (as long as the DHCP server is turned off). The port forwarding, well that should be easy enough to sort out yourself.

Configuring ICS with Static IP address on Vista BasicInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Replying to gnubugDear Gnubug,Read your expert guide on troubleshooting network connectivity on "Xisto".I'd like your expert advise over configuring internet connection sharing on NIC card attached to a cable via wireless NIC card. The purpose is to share wired internet connection configured with static IP address over a wi-fi medium.Now here's the scenario: I've two NIC card wired and wireless(802.11g) on the laptop.Wired NIC card has a local static IP address and cannot be changed otherwise no access to the internet. Now I would like to share internet connection of that static IP address via Wireless NIC card. In other words I am looking to make my laptop into a wifi-hotspot, which would rebroadcast signals to wi-fi enabled devices like ipod touch, laptops.I've tried everything here from Microsoft Vista help site to technical blogs and still failed to turn my laptop into a hotspot.Please help, I cannot sleep until I find a solution to this problem.Thanks in advance..

-reply by larry wang

Internet Connection Sharing Problems Internet Connection Sharing Problems

of course, mostly everything is possible these days 

-reply by redshaft

Sharing my internet connection via laptop with my PS3Internet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi there !! About 5 months ago I use to play online gaming by connecting my laptop, which has a 3g connection with my ps3. I did everything accordingly by going into the network sharing tab, then properties and then enabling the "allow other network users to connect through this computer".. And it worked the whole time, until about 5 months ago when the one day everything stopped working..And when I went into the network sharing again, I could see that my laptop's not giving internet access for my ps3 anymore.. Can you give me some options to work with ?

-reply by Marchant

Hello,Hope fine! I have hp compaq d530sff desktop system.I have driver problem and installation problem of window..I did install window by different cds but problem is same..It take much time in installation,while I have complete os requirement...It take too much time in window installation setup on saving setting,and removing any temporary files setup while installation..When I complete my window installation.Its ok when for second time I on my system it does,not show window startup screen and remain stayed at setup screen then I have ALT+CTRL+Del then it show pxe-e20: bios extended memory copy error and pxe-Mof:exiting pxe rom.

When I hav to do alt+ctrl_delete.Then it again shows setup press 1 to boot press f10 to setup screen. When I do again alt+ctrl+delete it show blue screen error like hardware malfunction. This system has halted..Please help me in this case... I will be thankful to you..Whats all this problem..I'm searching solution in google by sites so I find this site one to share my problem..My personal yahoo id:rabia_rosegirl@yahoo.Com..U can share me and send me solution on this id I'm waiting...

USB LAN AdapterInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi everyone...!

I use internet with a better speed when my LAN card is directly connected to the DSL router but when I use a USB LAN Adapter for the same purpose the speed gonna dead slow...What can I do to resolve this problem...???

Thanks in advance...

-reply by Saad