xisto Community
ejfetters

Internet Connection Sharing Problems

Hello, I am having some trouble setting up Internet Connection Sharing. Here is my setup. My internet is through a neighbor who is sharing there internet with me wirelessly, so I don't have any type of broadband modem, just a wireless card on my desktop PC. I have a linksys WRT54G router connected to the desktop PC and tried following the guidelines for home networking, and works fine, but no internet connection now. When I unhook my router then my internet connection comes back. Its as if the computer is looking for internet on my network, and I dont know how to have it use the wireless internet from my neighbor and the network just for file/printer sharing. I have a laptop and a Wii in another room that the wireless isn't strong enough to reach. I thought I could use Internet Connection Sharing on the desktop in the room where it works to share that computer's internet connection over the router to the Wii and the laptop and basically "rebroadcast" the internet through my desktop PC's connection. I can't seem to figure this out because each time I hook my router back up, it just kills the wireless internet again. Also, my neighbor's router is on 192.168.1.1 - so I went into the router I have and changed it to 192.168.2.1 thinking this was the problem. When I reconnect my wireless connection to the internet and type in 192.168.2.1 it finds nothing. but 192.168.1.1 finds my neighbor's router. When I go into connections and click to disconnect the wireless connection it goes back to my router and 192.168.2.1 works again.Is it possible to use my desktop's internet connection to rebroadcast to my wii and my laptop through my linksys router? If not, is there a way to use my wireless router for file/printer sharing with the 2 PCs, but still let them find there own wireless internet connection without looking to my network for it? Please help, thank you.

Ok, yikes, this can get pretty messy.. but here goes...First, ICS (oe Internet Connection Sharing) requires sets you 2nd NIC to a default 192.168.0.1 address, this can not be changed for ICS to function.So with that in mind , you are going to have to play around the 2nd NIC (network card) to get this up and running.First you have to setup the router from being plugged in one of the access ports to login to router to make your settings. (hmm.. lets try to put this as simple as possible)Main machine must have 2 NIC (network cards)IF your Wifi card is getting from your neighbor, I assume 192.168.1.1 which is the gateway, means you should have somehting like 192.168.1.5 or something as you IP.Your wired NIC should go to your router.. DO not setup sharing on the WIFI card just yet..Login to your router, make your settings somthing very broad in terms of IP setting...Hell drop it to something like 192.168.6.666 or something, keep it as far as you can from 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 as possible.make sure this is giving ip to the rest of your gear....Now comes the decision part.. you decide if you want to let the router use DHCP or not, if you, you are going to have speed and redundacy issues on anything connected to that router, as the once ICS is enabled, it is fact acting as a router with DCHP also..not to mention the DHCP turned on your neighbors router...messy messy messy...I would recommend that you turn off DHCP in your router as the last step of your router configuration, then reboot router..Now go back and turn on ICS (internet connection sharing) on your WIFI card... This will set your 2nd NIC to 192.168.0.1 and turn on the dhcp...From this moment, plug your wired 2nd card into the router, (now depending on your router model there is 2 ways you are going to have to try this)First try to plug into one of the numbered ports 1-2-3-4 etc and reboot, see if you can now access Internet passthrough through router..This should be getting up and running, if not then you may need to go an advanced setup using same setup but with a 10/100 hub added into the picture (not another router, must be hub)and that takes alot more setup and configuration...Just let me know if the firat way works..

A shared printer on a pc which belongs to a domain,how can access this printer from a pc/laptop which is part of workgroup-reply by M.Arif

help me fixInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi, ok this is my problem I have a motoq9h and I connect my internet through internet sharing to my desktop. Before, this works out fine until 2 days back I decided to connect it through modem connection. I created a new connection for this but was not successfull as I did not know all the settings but I hav setup this modem connection as default connection. And if you go to internet explorer and in connection tab in that small window virtual or dial up connection & where add button etc etc is there. Actually there usually appears two option before like "realtek lan connection" or "connection 2" which is my internet sharing connection but now both have disappeard and I cannot chose "conection 2" anymore as there isn't any and when I click the add button it leads me back again to setup a new dial up connection. Now when I open fresh internet explorer it opens up my homepage but my mobile after a while shutsdown & restarts on its own. Thus terminating the connection. I also want to tell u that I have formatted my hard disk and install a fresh windows just to fix the problem but same problem in the virtual & dial up window there is no option to choose . Bottom line is I want to make my internet sharing connection I.E. Connection 2" in internet explorer. If you do not understand the problem please let me know I am tired of finding a solution.

-question by Donz

hi I recently got the nintendo wii and really want to get it online, today I bought the wii-lan adapter, but the wii will still not go online. The wii will only register as an unidentified network. I am sharing the internet from my labtop to the wii. I never had a problem setting up my xbox live but am having very bad problems with this!! any suggestions?

I donInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi. I have a big problem with my connection/computer, until yesterday everthing worked fine, but during the night, something must have gotten awfull wrong: I have a wifi router, I use a cable though to connect my desctop...The router assigns an IP adress for me...I can ping the router, I can ping websites, however the browser I use cant find any websites, my AVAST cant connect to the net, steam cant do it neither. So here is my question...What should I do? where is the problem, why did it even occure? How do I fix it? pleez HELP! 

-reply by Janik

sharing internet with neighbor but i dont want him in my shared filesInternet Connection Sharing Problems

I have 1 wired router and 2 wireless routers. I want to share my wireless internet with my neighbor but I don't want him into my shared files. I also have 2 computers and 3 laptops at my house that I do want them to share files. How do I set this up so the neighbor can get free internet but not see my shared stuff like pictures and stuff. I have a linksys moden and a linksys router, a wireless linksys router and a wireless belkin router. I also have a four port hubb if I need to use it I can. Please help 

-reply by swaney

Wireless v Ethernet Internet ConflictionInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Our system at work is basically a Wireless network. We have a Netgear wireless router and about 10 computers that connect to the router through wireless cards or dongles, this provides our internet access and file and printer sharing.

However one computer has our accounts file and three computers connect to this computer to gain access to the accounts via a local Ethernet connection We have a Ethernet switch box and this connects the 3 computers together. When the Ethernet connection is disabled I can access the internet through wireless no problem, however once Ethernet is enabled I can access the accounts on other machine but internet goes off. I believe that the computer does not know which connection (wireless or Ethernet) to access the internet. My default gateway ip address to connect to wireless router is 192.168.123.254, my IP address is DHCP enabled. My Ethernet connection gateway computer is 10.0.0.1 with my computer's IP address set at 10.0.0.5

I'd be grateful if someone could help me tell the computer to use the wireless connection as the Internet therefore keeping both connections enabled with the Internet running smoothly. Many thanks for any help.

-reply by Shippers

Forget ICS -- Set up Wireless BridgeInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Set your wireless router to bridged mode. If your router does not support this, try DD-WRT.

Do site survey & connect to the neighbor's router.

Connect an ethernet cable between your bridge(router) and your PC.

No ICS needed unless you have other devices that must be wireless. 

-reply by Doug

ICS Sharing between two DesktopsInternet Connection Sharing ProblemsHi All, My friend is having an Broadband ADSL Internet connection in his Desktop PC(PC1). I need to share the connection with my Desktop PC(PC2). I have done all settings and I got success with a Laptop. But if Iam trying with my Desktop PC, it's LAN Port is Not at all recognising the LAN. Iam sure that My PC' LAN Port is working fine. Is there any settings that I have to do with my PC2?Please Help!Thanks in AdvanceRegards,Krishna-reply by Krishna Kumar

Cannot connect to Internet on Vista Ultimate Computer via ICS enabled Windows XPInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi,

Windows Vista Ultimate does not connect through ICS enabled Windows XP machine. Earlier, I could do it, when I also had windows xp installed.

After installing Vista Ultimate, I did necessary settings and could access other Computers and files on LAN. (Not WiFi). We have a main Computer which has broadband connection and ICS enabled. Every Computer with Windows XP can connect on Internet through it.

Vista Ultimate even shows Internet Connected icon on task bar (Earth Icon on Network Connected Icon next to time). In Network options the Network Map is also complete. The Internet icon is visible there also. Even the main ICS enabled Computer is pinged and vice versa. But no Web Pages can be opened. I even tried turning Firewall off and safety off but no chance so far.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

Ronny

-question by Ronny F. Patel

Windows7 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) with Ubuntu 9.04 boxInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Windows7 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) with Ubuntu 9.04 box

Here's how I did it.  Easy steps... 1 - 2 - 3 - 4...

The equipment and platforms: 

Dell Dimension 8300 desktop running Win7 and using a USB and-band WLAN adapter as the connection to the internet (the and-band WLAN router is at the other end of the house and diagonally downstairs).  A 5-port networking switch connects the Dell's 10/100 LAN card via standard CAT5 cables to a homebuilt AMD desktop running Ubuntu 9.04, freshly installed and yet to be updated.  Had I not had an available switch sitting around, I would have used a cross-over CAT5 LAN cable - it should provide the same experience as the switch as long as one is only using two systems.

DSL Modem <===> and-Band Router <>)))   (((<> USB WLAN adapter <-> Dell Desktop <===> switch <===> AMD Desktop 

Essential Preparations:

The Dell's WLAN connection was established and verified working and able to browse the internet.

Both the WIN7 and the Linux box have identical "name and password" accounts and are running using those same accounts.  Convenience over security has both machines automatically defaulting to the desktop of that account at boot.

The LAN cards on both boxes are lit and seeing the connection between the units.  The lights on the switch confirm the network handshake.

ALL connections are set to be automatically assigned an IP and DNS... Except for the one exception listed below, and only then if auto mode doesn't work.

The Necessary Steps:

1) In the system tray of the Dell, I left-clicked the networking icon (right-click would work too). I chose "OPEN NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER" from the bottom of the popup.

2) Under "View Your Active Networks" and to the right of "Connections" (the first one in my case), I left-clicked on "WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION", then chose the "PROPERTIES" button at the bottom of the popup.

3) I chose the "SHARING" tab, then put a check in the first of the two available boxes - that enables ICS.  I clicked "OK" on the popup that tells me that it will automatically assign an address of 192.168.137.1 to the LAN connection.  I then click "OK" at the bottom of the "SHARING" page. This will bring you back to the NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER where you should see the Wireless and the Local Area connections showing "INTERNET" as each one's Access Type (it sometimes is delayed a few seconds).  If not, try repeating step 2, deselecting the check box and again clicking "OK", then repeating steps 2 and 3. If it proves stubborn, reboot and try steps 1 through 3 again. 

4) Final step: I then turned to the Linux box, opened the Network icon, and left-clicked on its "auto eth0" connection icon to force it to recognize the new connection. Once reconnected, I could browse the internet and perform updates.

If this still doesn't work, try turning off any and all virusscan and firewall and anti-spyware software running in the system tray and try again.  Your router should provide enough firewall protection until you figure it out. Just FYI, I use the standard WIN7 firewall, AVAST AV, and no anti-spyware program that runs in the background, and needed to turn off nothing for this to work.

If this still isn't working, check the assigned IP address of the Linux LAN card... It has to be 192.168.137.Xxx something - where XXX is NOT equal to "1".  If it is not, try manually assigning a static IP address in that format, and make xxx something between 2-254, subnet 255.255.255.0, default route AND primary DNS 192.168.137.1 each.  Then attempt to activate ICS again using steps 1 through 3. This is the "one exception" where automatically assigning IP and DNS may not function correctly - but did in my case.

Be aware and BEWARE - ICS [in the WIN7 RC Build 7100 I have, at least] is very unstable and disconnects a LOT.  When it does, remove the ICS on the first machine by following steps 1-2, uncheck, "OK", then repeat steps 1-3, and it should reconnect - for another short time, at least.  

ICS is really only suitable for quick and dirty temporary connections for the purpose of doing experimental work and quickie system updates for friends, for instance, and only when it just isn't practical to run cable to the main router and the computer you are connecting simply doesn't have a WLAN card. A cheap and simple WLAN USB adapter would be much much easier. So would a CAT5 connection to the main router if the distance is short.  I only used it in this circumstance because the router is all the way on the other side of the house and impractical to stretch a wire to, and my only USB WLAN adapters are not Linux compatible.  I had a couple short cables and a switch, so decided to use them. It took me 2 weeks of off and on research and trial and error... It would have been vastly easier to drag the Linux box downstairs or buy something compatible.  Just call me stubborn.

-reply by Tearfall

wireless usb adapter only maintains connection when i am using AIMInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Wireless usb adapter only maintains connection when I am using AIM. If I try to surf the web, it will disconnect and only reconnect if I reboot my computer. I am using a dynex enhanced wireless G usb adapter with a D-Link WBR 1310. I am also running windows XP. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated 

-question by Andre

why why whyInternet Connection Sharing ProblemsHi peeps I had a win2k box sharing I-net to an xp box fine.. Now the 2000 box died so up went an xp box,The problem is I-net. I have the network working. I can open folders on both from each other. The x-box 360 is working. But for the life of me I can't get the I-net working between the two xp boxes, set up = cable goes to external modem, external modem to nic in xp-new, second nic out to hub from there, hub out to xbox, xp-box2 (and whatever I'm fixing). Modem nic (xp box new) is set to share, second nic 192.168.0.1, xp-box2 nic 192.168.0.21. 255.255.255.0 for both. Firewalls completely disabled, (before I even installed them). I've tried way to many things to list. Was all over ms site for two days. I hope it's some little thing I'm overlooking... HELP please.Regards,In-sites-question by in-sites

Problem in ad hoc netInternet Connection Sharing Problems

Hi,

How I can connect laptop(with Win 7 OS) and desktop PC(with Win Vista OS and d-link usb wireless, because the ad hoc

network doesnot else the desktop  PC OS is Win XP.

Thank you . 

-question by Ahmad