xisto Community
Chesso

Bigpind Issue Modems (like Motorola, Speedtouch Etc)

Hello,I have a few of the standard ADSL 1 modems that BigPond issue out to customers, though I am not with bigpond anymore.This modem has a USB and Ethernet port, I use the ethernet port, and my brother USB.Does anyone know of a why to block out only data from one port (like USB) when the little SOB is downloading anime while I'm trying to do far more important tasks lol.

through the command line access on the speed touch 530 you can actually turn the usb port off. if this is your model, tell me and i can step you through it!-jimmy

Yeah I have a SpeedTouch 530, but haven't been able to get it to work for the internet properly for some reason.I am using some Siemens Speedstream 4100/4200 or some such at the moment, and it is working fine, it has the same ethernet/usb setup and most of the same features, although it doesn't handle games well at all for some reason.

a friend has the 4300 SpeedStream but im not sure if my method will work for that one! Try it anyway!

If you are using windows, go to the HyperTerminal, Start > Accessories > Communications > Hyper Terminal (if your not using windows, use a program that can connect on port 23 (im not sure what you can use in linux/mac))
Using TCP/IP connect to your modem (should be 10.0.0.138) and make sure its on port 23.
you may need to enter a username and password to continue.
then enter

:usb config state=disabled

this should disable the usb port and of cause to re enabled it , change state to enabled.
You may also have to reboot the modem after doing this, just power it down, then bring it back.
These steps are for the SpeedTouch 530, but may be similar to the SpeedStream 4100,4200,4300 series.

Also, you can use the command 'menu' to view all available options on the modem. You'll work our way around it - its pretty simple to learn, took me a few minutes to work my head around it all! Good Luck
-jimmy

EDIT: Put in a call at the whirlpool forums http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/ and see if they know of any solutions. Whirlpool is just for Aussie Broadband and has heaps of helpful people!
Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)