xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
trinifawk

Zune II Is this gonna be an Ipod Killer?

Many people have been disappointed with the Zune- Microsoft's attempt at developing an iPod killer media playing machine. I don't know too much about media players, but you would think that if it has wifi capabilities, it should be able to go online. Well, the MS Zune lets you preview other people's music, which you would then have to buy. I guess that the idea has some merit, but come on? I digress. Does anyone think that the Zune will outsell the ipod this holiday season? Some people seem to think so. With a price tag of $100 in some popular electronics stores for a pre-ordered version of the 2nd generation Zune, who knows that's in store for us this holidays. I would say that it's going to be tough for anyone to beat out the ipod, but ipod is competing against itself and transitioning to the iphone-like technology in their newest ipod touch player. To try to rival the ipod nano, there's the sportier flash zune, which doesn't have the hard drive like other players, but is very good for music and a small amount of video. ipod killer? What do you guys think?

the zune is downright disgustingand by a picture i just saw, IT HAS THE OFFICE ASSISTANT!!!its just a microsoft attempt for you really... apple would kill anything microsoft easilyyeah but it looks ugly, not a scratch on the ipod.

Besides the fact of its looks, the zune's features aren't too bad!

Capacity * 30GB
* Stores up to 7,500 songs, 25,000 pictures, or 100 hours of video.[1]Colors

* Brown
* Black
* White
* Limited Edition: Pink

Size and Weight
* 4.4 in. x 2.4 in. x 0.6 in. (h x w x d)
* Weight: 5.6 ounces

Battery[2]
* Music, up to 14 hours (wireless off), up to 13 hours (wireless on); pictures, up to 4 hours; video, up to 4 hours
* Charge Time: 3 hours; 2 hours to 90%

FM Radio
* Built in
* Presets: 30

Display
* Size: 3.0 inches
* Orientation: Vertical and Horizontal
* Resolution: 320 x 240 pixels

Audio
* Windows MediaÂŽ Audio Standard (.wma): Up to 320 Kbps, CBR and VBR, up to 48-kHz sample rate
* MP3 (.mp3): Up to 320 Kbps, CBR and VBR, up to 48-kHz sample rate
* AAC (.mp4, .m4a, .m4b, .mov): Up to 320 Kbps, Low Complexity (LC), up to 48-kHz sample rate

Pictures
* JPEG (.jpg): All resolutions (desktop software will automatically convert to 640x480 at sync time)

Video
* Windows Media Video (.wmv): Main Profile, CBR or VBR, up to 1.5 Mbps peak video bitrate, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec., with Windows Media Audio up to 192 Kbps, 44.1 kHz, stereo audio; Simple Profile, CBR, up to 736 Kbps video bitrate, 320 x 240 pixels, 30 frames per sec.

Video Output
* Yes (composite-video)

EQ Presets
* Acoustic, classical, electronic, hip-hop, jazz, pop and rock.

Wireless
* Connectivity: 802.11 b/g
* Range: Up to 30 feet
* Share select tracks, playlists and pictures - Zune to Zune. [3]

Text from: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That aside, I don't think it is going to be such a hit - many people are going to see it as a 'ipod' copy and think of it as microsoft trying to catch up (as demonstrated just before ;))
Personally, I don't like it, but i don't really like the ipods either - overpriced technology. Have you seen the look of the new-look i-pods, they're worse then the original ipods (like the really old ones, without click-wheel ;)).

I don't think the Zune is going to go anywhere, apple has their fan base, and i don't think they will move to the zune anytime soon.
Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

Yeah, I just don't see the Zune as any sort of a threat to Apple. Even if they were to double anything Apple had, still they would be a distant second, if that. People just don't see Microsoft as a MP3 player contender. Like I was reading once about how cars like Honda and Toyota are perfectly good and acceptable cars in the west, even looked at as "oh look, an import!", but in Japan they don't sell as well and are looked at as second-rate cars, because over there they're primarily known for their motorbikes, and so no one wants to drive a car made by a bike company. I suppose it would be the same if Harley made cars. I for one wouldn't want to drive around in one. The first assumption people would make is "A car? Harley makes bikes!" and it's the same with the Zune. It's just not going to sell well, being branded a Microsoft product. I don't like iPods either. Overpriced and more of a fashion statement than a music player. -- not that they're bad, they're good quality mp3 players, just too hyped up. But they have dominance, precisely because of that. And they won't lose that market anytime soon. The die-hards will always buy iPods, ignorant people and first-time buyers will also buy iPods, because of the fantastic job Apple has done with brand awareness.

Another problem is that the reason why iPod was successful, was because of its simplicity in its interface and hardware design. Microsoft can try to copy (like they always do), but it wouldn't make them much better to the point people will get Zunes than iPods.xboxrulz

Apple has the market and Microsoft is just trying to get into it! If you have a look at the mp3 player accessories - many of them are for the ipod or are ipod ready! Even car stereos are becoming ipod ready, the head unit in my car comes ready to connect an ipod to it!

I doubt Zune will ever hurt the iPod. The iPod is, in essence, a MP3 player, right? But often, it seems as if it has its own category, separate from just the MP3 players. (i.e.: At the beginning of the school year, when our teacher was listing the electronic devices that would not be allowed in class: "No cell phones, MP3 players, iPods...") We see iPods and their influence everywhere; even vector art with a black silhouette of a person are called "iPod-ad" style now. Just about everyone knows about the iPod, and many people will buy this regardless of all the other MP3 players on the market just because the iPod is so famous and declared wonderful and...well, cool. The iPod has secured a niche, and won't lose it - definitely not to the new Microsoft Zune, that's for sure. Serena