xisto Community

If i could play my computer games on it (so i guess talkin more desktop here) i would give mac a shot, but since most games only work on windows, and now with all this games for windwos *BLEEP* comming out i guess i have to stick to windows. this is my same problem w/ linux

Yep I am the same with dual booting windows and linus (running windows more due to software such as games that I want to play)Also, going back to the question about if I was talking about desktops or laptops, I was talking about a desktop in that case, as I haven't really had much experience with notebooks...I just bought a laptop computer a couple months ago and so I am on my first one...so we'll see how well it lasts, and how durable it is... (its a Dell Latitude)

I have not liked HP computers....simply because whenever I have gotten them or dealt with them they load them up with tons of junk...i mean I would like a new computer that doesn't come with a ton of adware if possible...I don't need offers to be scrolling across my screen constantly...or hp updates or satisfaction questionaires...Would you recommend dual booting a macbook with windows and mac os x? Or just having os X on the macbook?

I would just get OS X on the Macbook, unless you REALLY REALLY NEED Windows (like for games), then dual boot. Most of the programs that you need nowadays works on MacOS like on Windows. Most Adobe programs are written for the Mac, Microsoft Office was originally written for the Mac and has continued to be. I have yet need to run Windows, except for some quirky programs like GameSpy Arcade. Then again, I'm hacking around with CrossOver Office to see if I can finally get GameSpy Arcade to work with it so I don't need to dual boot it.As for HP, when I got mine (even though it was severely problematic when I had to replace all 3 that I returned and got a new one) I just uninstall all the crap right off the bat.xboxrulz

Well my programs that I use tend to be some smaller no name products (not adobe, and Microsoft isn't very high on the list either)...and yes there are always the games that I play...But maybe i'll see what is happening the next time I am looking at getting a computer, and go for it....What kinds of stuff are you mainly using your macbook for? (as in what are some of the more common programs you use?)

I don't think a Mac would be too good for me.I generally use:Windows Live MessengerFireFox (and Internet Explorer when necessary)Borland Delphi 7 (not on any other OS, Win32 programming only)Dev-CPP (It's built using Delphi, so again Win32 only)Win32-ASM (Win32 only again)Photoshop (not sure)Macromedia Flash 8/9 (not sure)Microsoft Office 2002Programmers Notepad 2 (Win32 only)WinRAR (win32 only?)Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and AVG (Win32 only also I think)VeohTV, Media Player Classic and Video Lan Client (I think all Win32 only as well, except VLC maybe)Nero (not sure)mIRC, uTorrent.And many games only made for Windows.So yeah, well there is lots more, but those are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head at the moment, there is probably a fair few alternatives to mac, although nothing would compare to BD7 in my eyes, and that's more than enough reason.But I suppose dual booting would be an option with how Mac is using the usual PC hardware these days?

Yup, dual booting is supported, or you can do what I do, just run Windows in a virtual machine. Best to get the MacBook Pro if you want to game on it though (very comparable with the XPS M1710, and surpasses it in many aspects).Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Flash is available for Macintosh as well. Macintosh opens RAR files by default (if I wasn't mistaken, you can still download Stuffit Expander if problem arises to open RAR files.xboxrulz

I'm going to wait a couple of years before I get another laptop, but Macbooks are definitely worth it. I only own a Clamshell right now, and I'm even happy with just that, it gets the job done for me. I hear that Leopard is going to be awesome, and it's going to have Bootcamp built in. The only thing is that you can't run bootcamp on intel based macs which sucks. Oh well at least Leopard still runs on PowerPC G4's.

I haven't actually owned a laptop yet, mostly due to the price, as I buy cheap desktop parts and build myself.But when I find work and what not, it would be really nice and handy to have one around for circumstances that are beneficial to be able to move around with it so easily, especially if I can dual boot into Windows as well is fine, that's important no matter what hardware or package I go far as there will be times I need a Windows specific application (Like Borland Delphi).

I need a laptop because I actually lug it around school to take my notes and I travel very often so I must have a laptop handy so I can stay connected or as a "just in case" measure. (You know that you can actually rewire your battery if for emergency purposes, so you can power a light or make a flare or etc. if you're stranded).xboxrulz

I don't think a Mac would be too good for me.
I generally use:

Windows Live Messenger
FireFox (and Internet Explorer when necessary)
Borland Delphi 7 (not on any other OS, Win32 programming only)
Dev-CPP (It's built using Delphi, so again Win32 only)
Win32-ASM (Win32 only again)
Photoshop (not sure)
Macromedia Flash 8/9 (not sure)
Microsoft Office 2002
Programmers Notepad 2 (Win32 only)
WinRAR (win32 only?)
Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition and AVG (Win32 only also I think)
VeohTV, Media Player Classic and Video Lan Client (I think all Win32 only as well, except VLC maybe)
Nero (not sure)
mIRC, uTorrent.
And many games only made for Windows.

So yeah, well there is lots more, but those are the ones I can think of, off the top of my head at the moment, there is probably a fair few alternatives to mac, although nothing would compare to BD7 in my eyes, and that's more than enough reason.

But I suppose dual booting would be an option with how Mac is using the usual PC hardware these days?

I forgot to mention, XCode supports all major program languages like C, C++, Objective C, Java, and Perl. I'm not too sure about Delphi though...

xboxrulz